Thread: live edge table

live edge table

I've found a beautifully figured 10' long, roughly 40" wide live edge English Elm slab that I'm thinking about making into a dining table. However, the slab is only 1 1/2" thick. I've read that live edge slab tables should be 2" or thicker to reduce the chance of warping. This particular slab was air dried for 3 years prior to being kiln dried, so I think it should be stable. However, it's expensive enough that I'd like some more experienced woodworkers to weigh in. Thoughts?
    I've found a beautifully figured 10' long, roughly 40" wide live edge English Elm slab that I'm thinking about making into a dining table. However, the slab is only 1 1/2" thick. I've read that live edge slab tables should be 2" or thicker to reduce the chance of warping. This particular slab was air dried for 3 years prior to being kiln dried, so I think it should be stable. However, it's expensive enough that I'd like some more experienced woodworkers to weigh in. Thoughts?

I made a live edge kiln dried beech conference table out of 5/4. After 7-8 years, still dead flat. I think under support is key issue to staying flat.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Wright View Post
    I made a live edge kiln dried beech conference table out of 5/4. After 7-8 years, still dead flat. I think under support is key issue to staying flat.
    Thanks - that makes me feel better. I'm going to have a wrought iron base with 4 corner legs and cross support, so support shouldn't be a problem. I'm also going to make the table expandable from each end, with heavy duty slides attached to the base that will open on each end to support each end leaf. And the end leaves will be stored in cubbies under the main part of the table.