Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder plane question

Next on the McLaughlin Group: Lie-Nielsen is the SawStop of the Neanderthal world.

Aaaaaand...FIGHT!
    Chuck Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    Next on the McLaughlin Group: Lie-Nielsen is the SawStop of the Neanderthal world.

Aaaaaand...FIGHT!

Oh please say it ain't so.... Don't get me started on the SS fanatics
    But get this I tried to call Taylor to discuss the problem but they don't have a phone number . I emailed them & asked em why they would tell me in an email the iron is wider than the body & send out the exact opposite ? I told em send me new iron or a return shipping label, we'll see what happens.
    If I get a refund & have a beer or 2 pretty sure I'll end up ordering one form Lie Nielsen.

Quote Originally Posted by lou Brava View Post
    But get this I tried to call Taylor to discuss the problem but they don't have a phone number .
    Just to let you know, there is a number that can be found on their Web site…. 573-397-6432.

Best of luck getting this resolved.
    Chuck Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by lou Brava View Post
    If I get a refund & have a beer or 2 pretty sure I'll end up ordering one form Lie Nielsen.
    Hope you don't need it anytime soon, both LN and Lee Valley shoulder planes are out of stock for at least few weeks/months. Something else we have to deal with nowadays. :-(
    BillL

I’ve honestly been confused about this point. I have a large veritas shoulder plane and love it. The blade is slightly wider then the plane. Lee valley instructs to set it, lay it on its side (the side corresponding to the side you witch’s to plane into) on a flat reference surface, loosen the blade and push down. By doing this I get the blade flush with the side. So what I understand from this is that the blade is designed to work flush. But then why don’t they grind it flush to begin with. Is it to avoid error or save money (I don’t seriously think that veritas would skip grinding as a cost saving step)?

Another viable option, if the LN and LV models are out of stock, are the Woodriver series shoulder planes. I have the medium size shoulder plane and it works great. But I do prefer my LN shoulder planes... makes me feel better than Steven when I use it.

I buy the LV/LN planes because they are usually only 10%-20% more than the Chinese versions (Woodriver, Luban, etc.), the fit and finish is much better, and they are made domestically (Canada is basically the US right?). Plus their resale value is high if I want to sell them and I know they will work out of the box. I wont have to spend time flattening the sole and blade and troubleshooting issues.

I am happy to sell my WR medium shoulder plane to the OP for a few bucks. PM me if you'd like it. I think I paid $150 shipped in Jan '21.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...shoulder-plane

Makes you wonder WHAT these guys would say about all of this..
    Carpenters.jpg

Used to be a fellow that claimed..unless you spend at least $26,000.00 on your tools, you just can not be considered a SERIOUS Woodworker....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Carpenters.jpg

Used to be a fellow that claimed..unless you spend at least $26,000.00 on your tools, you just can not be considered a SERIOUS Woodworker....

Not sure what your point is, are you thinking they did not have a mix of hand made tools along with the pedestrian variety and some expensive ones that actually gave good results?

A house I bought had a tool chest like LAP pushes to build, I have the history of that tool chest and its owners going back to at least the late 1800's, guess what was in it? everything from modified screwdrivers as chisels and awl's to very early Starrett to a St Johnsbury square which I am sure was not inexpensive at the time

The LN shoulder is usually not that long of a wait, just sign up to be notified and when you receive the email be ready to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Carpenters.jpg

Maybe they would say what a gambling friend of mine used to say, “Quit while you’re behind.”

Or, maybe I'll stop while I am ahead....
    The Tool Crib, filled up.JPG

Kind of doubt IF any of that crew ever heard tell of an "LV" or a L-N....looks like they got along just fine.

"What we got here is...failure to communicate....."

On the old "WOODonline forums....a fellow known as Amateur60 was the author of that saying.....Just imagine buying a brand new Sawstop..and being told you NEEDED to do an IMMEDIATE upgrade, that costs almost as much as the saw did in the first place..or you never be able to use it, for any sort of "serious" work....

Seems some around here have that same theory.....

Idk, a mix of old and new tools still has my vote and certainly helps to build a beautiful tool cabinet, even helped install properly mortises butt hinges.
    78D94C2B-C0CF-4D01-A0E1-D78E99DE236B.jpgD6178F92-67D3-4158-B3DF-C08BAAB5E106.jpeg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Assaf Oppenheimer View Post
    I’ve honestly been confused about this point. I have a large veritas shoulder plane and love it. The blade is slightly wider then the plane. Lee valley instructs to set it, lay it on its side (the side corresponding to the side you witch’s to plane into) on a flat reference surface, loosen the blade and push down. By doing this I get the blade flush with the side. So what I understand from this is that the blade is designed to work flush. But then why don’t they grind it flush to begin with. Is it to avoid error or save money (I don’t seriously think that veritas would skip grinding as a cost saving step)?
    Assaf, thanks for posting the Lee Valley instructions for setting the blade on the Cabinet Makers Rabbet Plane. (aka Shoulder Plane) The method sounds very familiar…

My thoughts on why the blade is a touch wider come down to two reasons. First, it is easier to make it slightly wider than dealing with the tolerance problems of matching each plane body, especially with a replacement blade. Second, this leave a little bit of metal for those who want to touch up the side bevels on the blade.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    “There’s a sucker born every minute” — P.T. Barnum (though current research can not find any support for the claim of this ever being said or written by Barnum)

There sure are a lot of woodworking folks who must not be "SERIOUS."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)