Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Next Woodworking Tool Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    I chose to get an MRI, steroid injections, and physical therapy instead of a cabinet lift.
    Yowsers! That is what teenagers are for. Not overly bright, inclined to show off, and competitive with each other to see how much they can lift. There is a reason they call that stuff "Young man's work"

Blog Entries
    I bought a DeWalt multi tool yesterday to cut in 2 1/4 x 10 air vent's into the toe-kick of a bathroom vanity so warm air can get to the frozen pipes and to insulate. I never liked the idea and sound of the multi tool. I was gifted a harbor freight version. It lasted about 3 hours, long enough for me to see that it can be a helpful tool. The DeWalt has a LED light, variable speed, quick change blade holder, and low noise.

I plan on selling my PM bench top Mortiser and replacing it with a Domino system. hopefully the versatility will make up for the cost differential !

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Well my father is 91 and still buys woodworking tools. That said, he usually only gets one new machine a year and far more small hand tools. Lots of Creekers are in their seventies.
    Just being practical Rich. My Grandfather died at 49, my brother at 48, my Dad at 61, and my Mom's brain melted from Alzheimer's but she didn't die until she was 87. She started forgetting who I was at 85. So the gene pool is not the greatest. Age numbers no longer impress me. I was my mother's care giver.

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    I was also concerned about the changeover time on a combo J/P but it turned out to not be an issue at all.
    Recently there was an older MiniMax FS30 (I'm what looked to be good shape) that went up for sale near me for about $2200. I'm still sick about not pulling the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Just being practical Rich. My Grandfather died at 49, my brother at 48, my Dad at 61, and my Mom's brain melted from Alzheimer's but she didn't die until she was 87. She started forgetting who I was at 85. So the gene pool is not the greatest. Age numbers no longer impress me. I was my mother's care giver.
    Sounds way too much like my family gene pool. I too turn 70 this year but I am still buying tools. I tell my friends they should eat healthy and exercise because they will really want to come to my estate sale.

" I tell my friends they should eat healthy and exercise because they will really want to come to my estate sale."
    --Thomas Wilson

Now that there is funny. Thanks for the first chuckle of the day!

A countdown timer! I am 65 and wonder how many years I can do this safely. Hopefully 5+. Brian

After a few years watching Craigslist and marketplace alerts for a used drill press that would be worth the hassle of inspecting and transporting I am now awaiting the arrival of a Rikon 30-217 17" variable speed floor drill press from Menards. It was in warehouse and a good price after rebate with store pickup. Maybe not a good price when I started this search, but a good price in today's market. Otherwise working on organizing what I already have.

True Confession. I have spent more money on new stuff in the past two years then in a long time - everything from a wonderful 3 hp Sawstop PCS, new Grizzly 8” helical jointer, 6” Bosch Sander (a winner BTW its dust collection is superior and it is much cheaper than the Festool), a Festool C36 dust collector, a big Dewalt 12” double bevel sliding saw (a dust creating menace BTW), and the Rockler cast iron router table package after my old one failed. (I have a super wife.). I buy tools if they wear out and do not want to admit that age 66 there will come a time when I will not. Note: My 91 year-old neighbor bought a Sawstop last year at his family’s behest after hurting himself on his old table saw (for the second or third time). Plus, like the rest of you, I am always replacing saw blades, router bits, and occasionally plane blades from Lee Valley. I am considering buying a bigger and better planer, perhaps a new drill press, and a better dovetail jig (I love my Akeda, but getting replacement parts is a challenge). With me, it is all about speed and safety and the fact that things work better- especially with the Sawstop - its fence is unbelievably accurate. I feel blessed by woodworking and have enjoyed reading posts over the years here, even if I do not post myself that often, I have picked up tons of info, like why Target Stains is great, buying a Rigid OSS, etc. So, as long as it is fun and my wife does not mind I will buy tools to replace those that fail or to buy those that do a much better job.

Oneida dust collector and metal ductwork, after my Clearvue started on fire and I keep getting shocked around the plastic piping...
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Sometime I forgot to mention in my previous post in this thread is that I'm also considering adding some basic metalworking and welding capability to my shop when I have the building up. It's not assured, but I think it may be complimentary from an art perspective.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Sometime I forgot to mention in my previous post in this thread is that I'm also considering adding some basic metalworking and welding capability to my shop when I have the building up. It's not assured, but I think it may be complimentary from an art perspective.
    How do you plan to separate metal and wood? I ask, because I plan to do the same. If I can afford it, the shop with have a hard wall between the two and a spray booth that can be accessed from both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    How do you plan to separate metal and wood? I ask, because I plan to do the same. If I can afford it, the shop with have a hard wall between the two and a spray booth that can be accessed from both sides.
    I haven't given it a huge amount of thought. If I were going to be doing heavy metal work I think I'd do a hard partition, but for "smooth jazz"... ... I might just take advantage of the larger space I intend to leave open as universal space and just clean up carefully. Time will tell...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm trying to stop buying new tools unless I reeeeealy need one. I have a near new proxxon mini table saw and a 12" drum sander that have come home with me to retire. I live alone with my dogs in a +100 year old house that sprawls over three levels. I hate stairs and just about everything I do involves at least one set of them. What I really need is a rancher with a large garage and a small yard.There you go my next big tool purchase will be a new larger shop.