Thread: Modern bed

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Modern bed

Finished the new bed for my wife. This replaced a ~25 year old cherry sleigh bed that I'd had for years. My wife wanted something more modern and lower to the ground. It turned out really nicely and she loves it. If the dimensions seem odd it's because it's a king sized bed turned sideways. Neither of us is very tall, so we appreciate the extra width for the cats to sleep with us and don't need the extra length at all. It really opened up the room compared to old bed. That said, it does still dominate the room, which makes it hard to get nice photos (that and me being a terrible photographer).

The wood is sapele, which I generally enjoyed working with. It was prone to some nasty splintering before sanding. Most of the work was done with handtools (everything but cutting the big stock to size) and the headboard braces are steel than I welded and painted. My wife wanted as natural a finish as possible so I went with General Finishes Flat Out Flat. It's not as protective as other finishes, but it doesn't darken the wood and I'm not too worried about wear and tear. It was the first time I sprayed and I'm generally very happy with the result.

Next up, some new bedside tables to compliment it.

Also, a bonus photo of our cat, Runchy, in his favorite hiding place under the dovetails of a cabinet I made for my office.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aaron Liebling; 01-21-2022 at 7:13 PM.