It can be insulated case applying only for people in hot and with high humidity, but for ages I have a different experience I see frequently in the workshop experience for most people in the net.

I cannot maintain any steel tool in direct contact with the wood as in a short time the contact surface will oxidize (rust). Initially I guessed it could be related to the wood species we have locally for their resin properties, but after to use a very broad spectrum of different wood, several of them also available abroad, I do not think it is (only) wood species related, as I also included plywood and MDF.

If I let one steel sole plane on directly in a wood surface, it will rust after a couple of weeks. If well oiled or waxed, it will take more, perhaps four or six weeks.

If I create a simple wood fixture to support drill or router bits with holes to fit their rods, soon I will have severe oxidation to the point I cannot take them off from their place.

If I hang a table saw blade against a wood surface for storage, in an year or so, it will develop some point of oxidation - even for a never used blade with their teflon coating protection!

And so on. I had equally unpleased results with fixtures in wood I developed to organize and/or store several tools and accessories, like chisels, card scrappers, steel rules and squares,...

I cope with that avoiding a such contact: my planes rest on a couple of lay copper nails, so there is space between their sole and the wood surface beneath them. All tool cut surfaces are far away from wood, even when lubricated. For my sadness, I avoid to develop any tool organizer when wood-steel will contact (sometimes it is frustrating as wood for obvious reason is my preferred material to work).

Question: do you have similar nuisance? Any idea what is the primary reason for that?