Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My jointer injury

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Hi, Alan. Do you find the dual roller guides keep the stock tight enough to the fence? I'd be willing to experiment with those a little, too, if they're easier to use.

JW
    They do keep the wood tight, but they also occasionally move a little outward. A little stronger magnets on the base would be helpful. The featherboard approach would accomodate differences in depth better (if you are doing a batch of boards and they are slightly different in depth.

This approach is very easy to use.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Hey thanks for the video. It was a reinforcement to me to always look at every tool for how to stay safe and particularly those with a blade. They cut through body parts so much more efficient than wood

I can see though how you got casual with that back hand because this tool seems so much less dangerous than some of the others with blades, glad to see you have healed up and still enjoy woodworking.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hart View Post
    First project for me is gonna be a push stick.

Rich
    I have push shoes rather than push sticks. I feel like I have much better control over what I'm pushing versus the typical 'push sticks' and my body parts are still well clear of any cutters. I especially like the push shoe when face jointing. I can exert more forward pressure with light down pressure. My Jet JJP-12 uses a Euro style guard so I just leave a small gap - less than 1"- in the guard next to the fence. The shoe is made from 1/2" ply so plenty of room for the push shoe to pass between the guard and fence.

Thanks for sharing.

Hope u make a full recovery.

MK

A heeled push block works well both for face jointing and edge jointing as it has a positive stop against the work. My friends dad had a jointer accident a few years ago and also has some shorter fingers from it ( he was attempting to joint something under 12" long).

Id have no interest in push block for edge jointing, you have no feel and less control of the material. you are working two directions, to the fence and your balance over infeed and outfeed.

Jointed enough face stuff shorter than 12" and its a push block and technique being sure where your pressure is focused. gap between infeed and outfeed is different on different machines. My SCM has less of a gap than say the General smaller machine. Less gap is a good thing.

Thank you for sharing. This drives home the reality that ANY machine that works wood can do serious bodily harm in the blink of an eye. Table saws only get the majority of the attention because they are probably the most common stationary tool. But I know of more that one person who had a circular saw accident as well. I hope you are back to normal soon. I've always been cautious in using the jointer but this only shows that merely one minor change in technique for whatever reason and suddenly you are injured. It's easy to go on autopilot and become complacent.

Actually, in my experience when living in the Midwest, farm equipment caused the vast majority of the accidents. And they weren't pretty. Being a city boy, I had never heard of things like a bush hog, or a combiner, or getting stuck in a grain bin. Who knew city life was safer? Sorta...

Basically, anything we can do to improve the safety in our shop is a wonderful thing. Respirators, push sticks, guards and riving knives actually being used, stopping for the day when tired, sliders or SawStops, etc...
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Actually, in my experience when living in the Midwest, farm equipment caused the vast majority of the accidents. And they weren't pretty. Being a city boy, I had never heard of things like a bush hog, or a combiner, or getting stuck in a grain bin. Who knew city life was safer? Sorta...

Basically, anything we can do to improve the safety in our shop is a wonderful thing. Respirators, push sticks, guards and riving knives actually being used, stopping for the day when tired, sliders or SawStops, etc...
    Unfortunately grain bin accidents still happen to often still. So easy for one to become entrapped in a sea of grain. As much as it's publicized these days people still make the sometimes fatal mistake of entering a bin with no safety harness or way to stay safe. The other danger is also a common farm item which is the gravity flow wagon. Children have died in them as well while they were being unloaded. As the grain feeds towards the open gate/door they are pulled under. Once a harvest season is to many. They have developed a rescue tool for grain bin entrapment. It's a steel tube they slide down around the victim and it has an auger that they power with a cordless drill that begins removing the grain from inside. Once enough is removed they can then pull them free. That's all dependent on help being summoned immediately.

several accidents over the years on the farm two homes away from me 150 acres same family forever. Now destined to become 156 homes on one part. I moved to green acres and slowly a village is becoming a city. One brother save the others life with the grain bin, father fell off one, father got pined by his skid steer arm. leaking hydraulic arm crushed and stuck, helicopter landed and took him away to top place and whatever I dont remember.

Sometimes there is just no room for errors on different machines.

That's the perfect way to describe it! I was on complete autopilot. Stupid move on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Thank you for sharing. This drives home the reality that ANY machine that works wood can do serious bodily harm in the blink of an eye. Table saws only get the majority of the attention because they are probably the most common stationary tool. But I know of more that one person who had a circular saw accident as well. I hope you are back to normal soon. I've always been cautious in using the jointer but this only shows that merely one minor change in technique for whatever reason and suddenly you are injured. It's easy to go on autopilot and become complacent.

I find push blocks much too clumsy (and possibly dangerous) for edge jointing. I'm worried the blocks could slip off the material and straight down into the cutterhead, along with my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Id have no interest in push block for edge jointing, you have no feel and less control of the material. you are working two directions, to the fence and your balance over infeed and outfeed.

Jointed enough face stuff shorter than 12" and its a push block and technique being sure where your pressure is focused. gap between infeed and outfeed is different on different machines. My SCM has less of a gap than say the General smaller machine. Less gap is a good thing.

Great video. I notice you said several times that, " It happened so fast." I suspect that was part of the problem. One thing I do is run through a mental checklist on each and every cut. Whether I'm doing two cuts or two hundred, every single pass through a cutter get's a running approval process. "Left hand, right hand, blade, fingers clear, thumb in, cut, cleared blade, watch blade, remove offcut." I'm a daydreamer and clumsier than most so I feel like I have to force myself to avoid autopilot.

This is the one that I was looking at making: https://jayscustomcreations.com/2014...ever-invented/ So it's not really a "stick".

15. I jointed the fingerprints off my index, middle, and ring fingers years ago. Thought I could get away with jointing too short of a board and it kicked back and fingers kept going. MY FAULT ENTIRELY! Super careful since then.