Thread: Help identifying parts, hardware of recent purchase

Help identifying parts, hardware of recent purchase

Bought a bunch of old tools over the weekend..I was told much of it originally belonged to a retired cabinetmaker who has since passed on.
    I've cleaned and put away most of the items...There a few that still have me puzzled.
    I'm attaching a few pictures of those items. Can you guys help me on identifying what these items are?
    A few of them I think I know but your expertise will give a better answer..
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jerry

I see a pair of pilot hole bits, one pop rivet, a "pick" for digging Walnuts out of the shell,

Forget the actual name, "hanger bolt"? Use a pair of nuts to drive the wood screw into a leg, add a bracket and a washer, and one nut...

Blog Entries
    To the left of the pilot hole bits looks like a cut nail, three shelf pins, a white and black nail on or screw on feet and the thing at the top should have threads inside and can be driven into wood for a captive nut, an older style of what is often called a tee nut.

The little wooden thing next to the nut pick is a button plug. It goes into a hole where a screw is used to cover the screw.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-24-2021 at 6:31 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Left to right. A hanger bolt, nut pick, a hole plug, a pop rivet, three shelf support brackets. The toothed thing at the top is a drive in adapter for a swivel caster. The round aluminum thing wit the point is a dowel hole center marker. The tapered iron piece is a cut nail. The two items to the right are screw pilot bits, that drilled the pilot and clearance hole and countersink for traditional wood screws. The round black item with th small hole is not familiar to me.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    The round aluminum thing wit the point is a dowel hole center marker. The tapered iron piece is a cut nail. The two items to the right are screw pilot bits, that drilled the pilot and clearance hole and countersink for traditional wood screws. The round black item with th small hole is not familiar to me.
    Les, you have sharper eyes than me on that dowel center marker. Even with two full sets of those in my shop it eluded me to what it is.

You are probably right about the swivel caster holder.

The round black thing looks like so many of the rubber feet seen on small metal boxes to keep them from scratching a desk our counter.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thank you all.. Steve, Lee, Jim...You cleared up my ignorance..I knew a few but the nut picker and the screw preparer I did not..Thanks Lee for :

"The two items to the right are screw pilot bits, that drilled the pilot and clearance hole and countersink for traditional wood screws."

That one i had not seen before...Appreciate your help..I knew you guys would recognize them quickly..Again, thanks.

Jerry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    Thank you all.. Steve, Lee, Jim...You cleared up my ignorance..I knew a few but the nut picker and the screw preparer I did not..Thanks Lee for :

"The two items to the right are screw pilot bits, that drilled the pilot and clearance hole and countersink for traditional wood screws."

That one i had not seen before...Appreciate your help..I knew you guys would recognize them quickly..Again, thanks.

You're missing a piece for the pilot bits. The sets also came with a depth stop that clicked into the notches that are in the shank to control the depth of the countersink or to make it a counter bore. This is what it looks like so you can look for one.
    IMG_0767.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thank you Lee...Im still learning... thanks
    Jerry