Thread: Chinese Joinery huge Volume

Chinese Joinery huge Volume

Here is a set I bought from taobao.

https://www.amazon.com/%E4%B8%AD%E5%.../dp/7503889144

Contains plenty of joinery from page to page in 2 volumes. Written in Chinese but the diagrams are weight in gold.

Capture3.jpgCapture1.PNG

That would be very interesting to get. Thanks for posting.

A book which may be worth exploring is

The complete Japanese joinery

ISBN 978-0-88179-121-1

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post

ISBN 978-0-88179-121-1
    I have that book. Quite different topics. More on framing.

I have that one, bought it several decades ago, and another one is The Genius of Japanese Carpentry. came out in 89, They have a new addition out since 2014, i haven't seen the new updated one.

Publisher Kodansha America, Incorporated
    ISBN-10 0870118978
    ISBN-13 9780870118975

s-l500[1].jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post

ISBN 978-0-88179-121-1

John that book that you have on Chinese joinery would be a great one to have if its all about furniture joinery, as you say the Japanese ones are about carpentry joints. There is some crossover in usefulness of the carpentry joints in furniture, but i would love to get the Chinese book. What was the cost on Taobao?

Quote Originally Posted by john zulu View Post
    I have that book. Quite different topics. More on framing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    John that book that you have on Chinese joinery would be a great one to have if its all about furniture joinery, as you say the Japanese ones are about carpentry joints. There is some crossover in usefulness of the carpentry joints in furniture, but i would love to get the Chinese book. What was the cost on Taobao?

Taobao is a lot cheaper. Use google translate to open this page: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=584334815881
    I bought it using a forwarding company in Malaysia, BuyMall. I believe in the States there is something similar to this. If you do not want to go through the hassle AliExpress is another alternative but it is WAY marked up.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32882611934.html

Back to framing joinery. I haven't seen Chinese yet but I am sure there is a book written on it. Chinese tends to have more curves on their pieces. Japanese have straight stock.

Thanks John. My son lives in China, so i can get him to get it for me. Yes the Chinese carpentry has more pronounced curves on roof structure than the Japanese, Chris Hall spoke quite a bit about it on his blog, and did write a few books on Japanese roof joinery and design. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by john zulu View Post
    Here is a set I bought from taobao.

https://www.amazon.com/%E4%B8%AD%E5%.../dp/7503889144

Contains plenty of joinery from page to page in 2 volumes. Written in Chinese but the diagrams are weight in gold.
    Hi John, would the illustrations in this book be enough to reproduce the joints? Seems like it's all in Chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    Hi John, would the illustrations in this book be enough to reproduce the joints? Seems like it's all in Chinese.

Big yes. But the dimensions you would need to come up on your own. It follows the basic rules in wood working like 1/2 or 1/3 and etc.