Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: flattening chisels and whatever

Nice build. It reminds me of the lap machines used by engravers. Any sort of tool rest in mind? Are you going to use it for general sharpening too. Worksharp is a nice idea but the wheels always seemed to have a little wobble on the ones I saw. I don't think the ones the engravers use have that issue and yous probably doesn't either.

I do not know about the diamond wheels on a work sharp because I do not have a Work Sharp. I have $25 in the motor and $59 in the wheel. So I do not even come close to the cost of the other machines.

But what I do have is a grandson ( who likes to use his hands ) that is in ninth grade. I bough him the 4 piece set of chisels that were om sale from Woodcraft for Christmas.
    He was over yesterday and he was able to flatten one chisel. I had already flattened the other 3 bigger ones. We reground the secondary bevel on the chisels. I got to explain the heat treating process of steel and how the hardness can be pulled out by overheating the steel on the grinder. That sunk in. We also got to cover sharpening angles, We used water stones to put the micro bevels on and finished off on the leather strap on the tormek.

I left him the 1/4 inch chisel to flatten because I could be done the fastest. With his developing motor skills he was able to get on and off the wheel with no problems or gouges. or mishaps . I have a small wood lathe in the same area we were working and he expressed a desire to try that, so guess what is next.

All in all we spent about 2 1/2 hours together , I could see he was beginning to get bored so we went up and played Sorry with Grandma.

All in all it was an Awesome day

Tom
    Tom

Blog Entries
    All in all it was an Awesome day
    Having a grandson in the shop is an awesome day. It all goes by way too fast. My grandson who enjoyed working in the shop is now going to college.

Mike on Lathe.jpg

He enjoyed working on the lathe.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Nice looking rig Tom. I use the lapidary plates backed up by the stock glass plate on the WS3K in a similar fashion.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler