Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ? Good source for dust collection basics

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    Thanks!! I'm looking to do the cheapest/simplest way without compromising quality.
    I still say HVAC, but you should probably just do the math comparing to PVC. It also might depend on where you live, I've fairly close to an HVAC supply house which deals with the general public.

When I recently remodeled my shop, I went with spiral ducting. I ordered mine through The BlastGate Company, along with the fittings, blastgates, pop rivets, and duct sealing tape. (Very good company to deal with.) I might have saved a little money, but not much, if I'd used HVAC ducting.

I didn't go with HVAC ducting for three reasons: First, it's not designed for use in dust collection. Both are designed to move large quantities of air at relatively low pressures. But, HVAC fittings are designed for the air movement to be away from, rather than toward, the blower. That's not too big a deal. It just makes it harder to seal the joints. Second, I would be doing most of this install myself. Most of the ducting would lay on top of and at right angles to the ceiling joists. I felt the spiral ducting would be easier to lay up on top of the joists without the fear that the duct I'd just snapped together would come apart before I got it installed. (I don't know if this is a valid concern. I'm just saying I had it.) Also, because of its strength, spiral ducting does not require as many hangers. I had two branch lines that would run between the ceiling joists. When I installed one of those branches in the main duct, the initial 5' length stayed where I wanted it, only supported at that one end, until I could install a hanger at the far end to hold it up permanently. All in all, I thought spiral pipe would be an easier install. I believe it was, though possibly not by much. Third, I was dealing with 5" duct for the main duct. It's harder to find HVAC duct and fittings in that size.

Obviously, HVAC ducting can work. It may be the best solution for a given situation. It's not for everyone. Neither is spiral duct.
    Last edited by David Walser; 02-04-2021 at 5:04 PM.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Thanks for the tip John, I just booked a hold from my local library.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Sander N's book is a good basic work to read, but as has been noted, it was written a long time ago. What I would update "in general" about dust collection design today is that stepped ductwork systems are less favored for the small shop systems that most of us use with one gate open at a time (typical 6" main throughout) and cyclones have become the focus on many systems over the last decade or so because the pre-separation brings benefits and folks are opting for larger, more capable collection systems. We also pay a lot more attention to the health risks of fine dust whereas "back in the day", it was more about making less of a mess.

As to duct material, my personal preference is metal duct. "Today" I have 26 gage snaplock. In my future shop...maybe within the next year...I'll likely change to spiral and will use Nordffab type disconnects where that convenience is desired, such as for overhead drops. I prefer metal for a number of reasons including it's support of off number inch diameters. I don't have anything against PCV/ABS...I just don't personally feel a calling to it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...