Thread: Woven Wood - A Drama In Five Parts

Woven Wood - A Drama In Five Parts

The following is an excerpt from my forthcoming book on Custom Door Production. Brevity is not my strong suit.....

Part One - Planning

The job was pair of 36” x 108” tall one 'panel' Honduras Mahogany doors with a “woven look” to the panels. I think I may have seen this woven look once before, perhaps in an Indonesian gate. I think that gate was actually woven, using green wood. The request came from an interior designer that knew the shop and would let me fill in the details, as long as she was kept in the loop. The only other particulars were size. They were to be the main entry for a new upscale restaurant.

The problem solving - one of our favorite things - started right away. I found myself sketching at the dinner table, at the taphouse, at my bench, while I should be doing something else. The complex projects get into my head and take over. Not at all unpleasant, but hard to avoid. First up was some sketching, and I spent quite some time trying to draw the look, and to visualize what we were to make. I had to close my eyes and rotate the parts in my head, and hold them there, like a meditative focus. Then I'd get distracted, and have to bring up the images again, and hold.

Eventually I knew enough to draw again. The drawings were nice, but only captured two dimensions - they lacked that pesky third dimension, critical to a woven look. So, I move onto wood, settling on 6” squares of 8/4 Poplar and Maple to shape and play with, as well as some MDF squares for the two dimensional effect. I then started thinking in terms of tiles - a major step towards a solution. Prior to that, I felt the parts were to be one sided and reversible. One part would be an 'out' part, and the neighboring part would be an 'in' part. Turn them over, and the 'ins' become the 'outs' and the “outs' turn into 'ins”. That presents some interesting characteristics and may be worth pursuing one day. But not this job, not this time.

Now the next step was Justin’s realization that squares were not the best way there, so we changed it to where the tiles were 3/4” longer than wide, or 3/4” wider than long. First with some MDF mock-ups, then once we saw how that helped things, we moved on to some 8/4 Poplar tiles. The tiles would all have grain running vertically in the door, although this is not the only way to go. We did it so we could treat the panel as a solid wood panel, with four tiles wide and 12 tiles tall, all grain running vertically.

I also made the width 3/4” narrower than the length. This made for a small 3/4” opening as the parts - now tiles – were arranged. We had a fractional bit of latitude in panel width, but had to make the parts come out even as they ran from stile to stile. We had more latitude with the height by varying the bottom rail width. We could settle on a master part size fairly easily and early in the build.

DSCN1048.jpgDSCN1051.jpg
    I quickly sized about 6-8 parts to the needed sizes and began to manipulate them around to see how the might work. I added a 45 degree bevel to the four long edges to give the illusion of a taper as the parts weave into and out of each other. The bevel could be modified should it need it.

I thought I was making great headway, but the limitations – 2 dimensions, with only a hint of the third - presented results that did not look like a woven panel. The sides were to have plows and two would have tongues. As I started roughing that in, I realized something critical: These were more and more looking like tiles. Specifically, I found myself thinking of the old 1/2” thick ubiquitous 'parquet' flooring that was made of parts of smaller wood, but they all had two tongue sides and two groove sides, adjacent, so they could be pivoted around just like tiles. That seemed to work. Work so well in fact, that I was sure I was going to have to discard it since the woven part would probably preclude the tile solution. The third dimension.

In our normal design work, we have only two dimensions. The third dimension is implied and fixed ion the door thickness. It is almost never a variable in a design sense. So we have these nice 2-1/4” thick door frames, and in order to enhance the depth, I planned on using 10/4 Mahogany for the basket weave. I was forcing myself to work with the scrap tiles since the Honduras was a bit expensive to play around with.

As I was visualizing one side bowed, I sawed a curve on one face. Then on the other side. Then the same on a second tile. Serendipity arrived, with a quick, overwhelming and warming realization that I had it – no need for a concave side for every convex side. They can all be convex on both sides of the part! I did not need a bowed side and a hollow side, only bowed. The concave is implied, but never visible. Never made.

That rush of awareness, that stimulation of the heart and brain is at the heart of why I work wood. It does not happen every day, and is in fact, pretty damn rare. But the several times a year that I get such a feeling are wonderful and keep me coming back.

Now the next step was Justin’s realization that squares were not the best way there, so we changed it to where the tiles were 3/4” longer than wide, or 3/4” wider than long. First with some MDF mock-ups, then once we saw how that helped things, we moved on to some 8/4 Poplar tiles. The tiles would all have grain running vertically in the door, although this is not the only way to go. We did it so we could treat the panel as a solid wood panel, with four tiles wide and 12 tiles tall, all grain running vertically.

I think if we are to do it again, we might alternate the grain for an even more accurate woven look and feel.

We beveled the edges on the Poplar, giving a dimension to the ‘sides’ of the weaving strips. This eliminated the integral tongues, a step I was reluctant to give up since I appreciated its elegance and the need to make bunches of loose splines. The faces of the tiles were curved to a 10” radius segment. This gave us an apparent change in thickness of 3/4” per side. How to make the curves? This had been discussed quite a bit during breaks and general conversation.

Justin began to build a 20” circular jig that would hold four of the tiles at a time and rotate against a fixed bearing under some 6” straight knives in the shaper. The 20” diameter of the jig coincided with the 10” radius that gave us a radius of for the face of each part, or tile. A full plywood top for the jig further helped hold the tiles in place while the power feeder fed them in a slow, accurate circle. The tiles were held in place on all four edges.

The cut was not huge, but soon proved too much. The “Jig of Complete Happiness” was immediately a problem.
    DSCN1061.jpgDSCN1067.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by David Sochar; 01-03-2021 at 2:28 PM.

Part Two: Failure!

The “Jig Of Doom” as it came to be called once we found its limitations, while very well executed and stout, had a fatal flaw. Cutting into the grain was just too much for the tile, and we saw a 50% failure rate on the first go ‘round of four parts.

A very dramatic failure rate as evidenced by the sounds and parts flying out of the shaper! Hit the deck and the red button!

The forward edge of each tile was being caught by the knives and snagging it enough to where it either broke the forward edge on the vertical grain parts, or took off the entire face on the horizontal grain parts. A high powered shaper like the SCMI, does not care about the parts flying around – it just keeps cranking. Lots of drama!

DSCN1072.jpgDSCN1071.jpg

We talked a bit about a chip breaker of some sort. Our motivation was to still make the curve cut in one go. We still had to turn it over and run the back, but that was two passes (x 124 blocks) vs. four passes - another 500 passes! We just did not come up with a way to make the jig work. The photos show the part failure on both vertical grain blocks and the horizontal blocks.

We even joked (seriously) about mounting it on the lathe, but that would be slow. And that grain could still be a problem on a significant enough number of parts to be a no go. Besides being intimidating to stand nearby and approach with a gouge.....

We thought about a spiral stagger tooth head, thinking that might minimize the impact. Small chips making lots of cuts in sequence instead of one of two big knives crashing into the part., hammering away until it broke. Time and expense ruled that out.

This jig had some time in it, and our scrap pile was notably depleted by its use of some thick stock. It really was a fine piece of shop work, with density to impart confidence and solidity. It had safety built in, since it could not feed unless everything was in order. The accuracy of the cut was unquestionable. The damn thing just did not work.

Evolution is basic to our problem solving. Complex projects often have to evolve before the path is found. We expect this, but still try to prevent dead ends. This was a dead end since we would have to move to a yet to be devised Plan B. I rarely count on an unknown jig hitting all points on the first go round. It may even take a third build to get everything needed, incorporated.

I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Part Three - Recovery

We needed to come up with a Plan B for shaping the curved face parts. We did not have one, though my original plan was a linear jig, with the appropriate curve along an edge. Or maybe two. The circular jig won out since we thought it adequate, and cool.

So, Justin started in on a straight jig. We would go back to hand feeding since I felt we needed that feedback and the ability to get out of a cut should it start throwing more than shavings. We turn the feeder around and attach a ‘foot’ to the horizontal beam and use it as a hold down, guard and general security. We used a fixed bearing under the cutterhead since we could easily adjust it for flush on our parts. Note in the photo how the curved, fixed bearing was placed into the fences and made for an adjustable 'flush' to the straight knives in the head.

The big change was to cut half the face of each block, on just the downhill run, not into the grain. This meant each block would have to be set, run and removed and run again, just for one side. 4 times, for both sides. 500 passes. The jig would hold three parts, so it needed to be loaded 166 times to run the parts. This is what I/we wanted to avoid, but you can’t always get what you want…..Attachment 448609Attachment 448610Attachment 448611Attachment 448612

The evolved jig is similar to the circular Jig of Doom, but “unrolled”. The blocks fit onto a lower horizontal tongue and two verticals, a wedge is driven to tighten the verticals, and a one piece top tongue was fit into place. Handles were added for control, and it was ready to test. The base that the handles mount to also has the curve x 3 along the edge facing the cutter.

At times, it is like you pay your dues one place, and are rewarded in another. The parts came out close to perfect, no scary stuff or minor/major explosions. Even the center match line came out almost unnoticeable. Sanding would be easy. It made no difference what the grain direction was, coming off the high part to the thinner worked just fine. We did not loose a single part.

I continued making blocks and getting them ready for the shaper. Justin spent a day to do the double duty on the shaper, but never complained. The stiles and rails were ready, as simple as they were, but we wanted to wait to size everything until we made up our panels.

With blocks shaped, we could finally see the pattern come up before our eyes as we placed the parts on the bench. It did look woven. Lots of depth to show the shapes, and the shadows said the rest. Very unusual. I have never seen anything quite like it.

Part Four - Parts Is Parts

We had a fabulous snow come down hard and heavy on a Saturday morning, and the shop was quiet and leaden with 4” of wet snow on the roof. The sun was out from noon on, and cast a remarkable light in the shop. There are times when it is magical in the shop. This was one of those times.

As our shop is small, I generally work several half days during the week, giving Justin full access since he is ‘key personnel’ and very productive. If I can help, I’m there, but it is about 50-50 whether I’m help or bugging him. We will sort thru the tasks and assign them to me as appropriate. I have always worked Saturdays and Sundays as that is my time to advance a project, get caught up, build household or unofficial items, walk in circles and mumble, whatever.

So this Saturday was especially nice since we have a beautiful stack of wonderful parts, the job was back on track, and we had a clear path in front of us. The light was definitely shining on the Acorn this day.

A holding jig was made for sanding with a R/O at 150 grit. It held 8 blocks at a time and in the window light, it was easy to judge accurately what was going on. They were fit onto tongues once again and then clamped to hold in the other direction.

Attachment 448613Attachment 448614

Splines were made and sized to be a loose, not too snug fit in the blocks. We planned on using epoxy, and it likes a thick glue line, and did not need to be clamped. So I built up a rail to hold the blocks vertically while I buttered the splines with glue and slid them in place. 240 splines, that is. They fit well and did not want to creep around as I laid the blocks flat to set up.

Part Five - Success!

We set a straight edge (door stile) and a rail at a good 90 degrees to each other to hold things straight as we glued all the blocks together. We used spacers as place holders where there was no block edge. Buttered the edges up with epoxy, and laid tile for a while. The fit was just right to allow things sliding together with a tap every now and then.

The hardest part was keeping the alternating grain correct. We watched each other and avoided a calamity. A panel was built on each bench and allowed to cure overnight.

DSCN1109.jpgDSCN1112.jpgDSCN1113.jpg

The next day, the panels were rigid, so we left them in place the benches. No sense tempting fate, eh? The tracksaw was set up to rip off the protruding blocks on all four sides. A router with a long baseplate was then used to mill a new dado into the edges, all four sides. This would accept a spline - the same size as the ones on the blocks - that would also fit a plow in the rails and stiles.

Splines and grooves were all 3/4”, as were the tenons and mortises.

This panels were looking a lot like a solid wood panel. The splines were cross grained and would limit some movement. But in my experience, I have not seen Honduras Mahogany move. I have 13” wide panels on a west facing door, small overhang over the door in the house, and after 12 years, they finally almost crack the paint. Almost.

So - how much room for expansion? This is critical because half the blocks are cut off square and will stop short of landing on or touching the rails/stiles. We opted for a slight 1/8” all four sides - .100”. Top and bottom do not need any clearance, but we thought it best for continuity.
    The tenons were milled and mortises made, and we added the stiles and rails to the panels right
    on the bench. A few clamps, and they were assembled. Remarkably easy, especially compared to the path we had already trod.

We have about 18 blocks left over. Enough for a 4x4 sample panel that we will oil up and try to keep in the shop. The next day we sanded the frames, eased edges, cleaned up a little glue. Justin machined for hinges and extension bolts. We loaded them up and took them to the finish shop. We did spend a lot of time congratulating each other and smiling a bit more than usual. Satisfaction is the norm around here, but these took it all a bit higher.

Fortunately, these are going into a high visibility restaurant as entrance doors. While I may not frequent the restaurant, I should be able to catch a happy hour and admire our work. No one else will ever know, or be able to appreciate what we go through. Nor will they know the pleasure we take from the work.

Woven Wood Complete Close_027.JPGWoven Wood Complete.jpg

That’s very cool David. I’ve done basket weave carvings they take forever. Your method is very cleaver.
    Are you planning on switching out the Screws for the handle mount. They really stand out black would really complete a A + design.
    Thanks for sharing
    Aj

I did not have any control over the handles. They need to be twice as thick, with something other than hardware store fasteners. My customer was the GC, not the restaurant.

The restaurant is jacket and tie for men (Therefore, I have not been able to get a drink at the bar). I think it far more important to change the fasteners than it is to police the populace on their choice of clothing. I thought dress codes for restaurants faded from the scene years ago.
    I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

It's attractive and I've never seen anything even remotely like it. Only thing that 'gives it away' is the complete absence
    of fuzz balls ,but sticking on several " wisp-blobs" of dyed fiber-glass insulation will make it more realalistic.
    Clever work!

Absolutely beautiful

I found a crate thrown away at the back of post tools. Cheaply made from woven bamboo plywood. Flat strips about one inch wide at right angles. I am not sure if they were actually woven or just laying across each other like plywood or osb.. It rotted away in a few years on the back porch with firewood inside.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-03-2021 at 5:52 PM.

Gorgeous, just gorgeous David! Thanks for taking the time and effort to walk us through the process. It all makes sense - AFTER you did the heavy lifting to figure it out.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Creative, ingenious and stunning. Wow! Thanks for sharing.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!