Thread: Disston D-12 question

Disston D-12 question

I have a D-12 Lightweight 5.5 psi rip saw from the late 40s early 50s that has a weird tooth issue. 95% of the plate has properly-spaced teeth, but the front 10% (by the toe) is about 8 ppi. I can't figure out how this would happen even with poor sharpening. Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to grind them off and recut all the teeth, so I may just sharpen them with added rake angle for easy starting or something. Not sure. Any input is appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Does the say have a number stamped on the plate below the handle? This would indicate the original factory toothing.

This may have been done by a previous owner for an easier starting saw.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It does have the “5 1/2” stamp on the heel. I’m just not sure how a different number of teeth per inch could be filed into it without removing a substantial amount of material.

It was probably like that from the factory for easier starting. Use the finer teeth at the tip to get your cut started, once you have some depth and are "really ripping" those little teeth won't be in the cut anyway, just along for the ride. I have one similar, love it. There is some info about these on Pete Taran's website. vintage saw dot com I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    It was probably like that from the factory for easier starting.
    This makes a lot of sense, since I can’t imagine how the tooth spacing could be so different from overzealous sharpening. Thanks, I’ll check out the site.

Blog Entries
    I took a saw and had it re-toothed.
    I made a new handle, bought new saw nuts and I have a saw that is like new.

It was a fun project.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 12-24-2020 at 10:03 AM.