Thread: Frameless base cabinets: position and size of stretchers?

Frameless base cabinets: position and size of stretchers?

Hi all,

I'm a beginner at cabinet making and am currently working on a new bathroom vanity.

I have built the base cabinet with 3/4" baltic birch including a full back.

I'm trying to figure out the stretchers - both size and position. I think best practice is to position stretchers at both the front and back of the top of the cabinet - is that correct?

If so, the problem is there just isn't much room after accounting for the sink and faucet.

I have attached a photo of the base cabinet so far as well as a diagram showing the inside depth of the base cabinet (20") and the proposed positions of the sink and faucet.

As you can see, there is only 2" of open space in front of the sink's front flange, and 1" behind the faucet.

I thought that I can just put a 2" stretcher at the front of the sink (kind of narrow, but OK?), and another 2" stretcher at the back, but use a jigsaw on the back stretcher to cut around the faucet location.

But before I do that, I thought I'd ask you all here: how would you place the stretchers?

Thanks for reading!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Go ahead and put 2" stretchers at front and back. Drill through for the faucet. If you have already set the cabinet, use pocket screws to secure the stretchers to the sides and back. If I am building boxes without knowing the sink specs I will use typical 4" or 5" stretchers and use pocket screws at the back in case the sink is particularly deep; this gives the installer the option of removing rather than cutting through the screws once the box is installed. In your case you won't gain anything by using wider stretchers and then cutting them down. As carpenters like to say, "where's it gonna go?"

Thanks for the reply, Kevin!

I will indeed use pocket screws for the stretchers.

I'll go ahead with the 2" stretcher for the front. But for the back, drilling through the stretcher for faucet holes won't work as the maximum thickness for the faucet to attach is 1.75" - the countertop (quartz) will be 1.25" and the stretchers are .75" for a total thickness of 2.0". In that case, what would you recommend? Using a 2" stretcher but cutting it back to 1" where the faucet will attach?
    Attached Images Attached Images

You can use corner blocks or nothing at all in the back. Where's it gonna go?

I always just go with a solid panel. stiffens up the sides and can become a bottom if things happen.

I prefer stretchers if for no other reason than it makes it easier to move the boxes around.