Thread: 2 Questions on General Finishes: Sanding sealer lumps and HP on latex

2 Questions on General Finishes: Sanding sealer lumps and HP on latex

Hello,
    a) I bought a Sanding sealer 2 years ago. Opened today for the first time and it has big lumps of white creamy product that I cannot dissolve. Any suggestion? Do I have to filter it? FYI, I mixed (manually) already.
    b) May I apply GF High performance FLAT on Latex paint?
    Thanks

A) What kind of sanding sealer is it? If you call General Finishes they will definitely be able to help.
    B) Sure. Maybe give the paint a couple days to dry. And light scuff, especially if the paint is gloss.
    Last edited by Bennett Ostroff; 10-04-2020 at 4:29 AM.

I agree with the other poster that you may want to consult with GF about the lumpy material

You "can" overcoat latex paint with a clear like GF HiP...but do keep in mind that many latex paints designed for painting your walls, etc., are relatively soft finishes. The clear top coat may be harder and with soft under hard, there remains potential for wear/damage. A 100% acrylic color product is generally a better choice for woodworking. If you want to stay with GF, their "Milk Paint" product (it's and acrylic, NOT traditional milk paint) is a decent product and you can mix shades if nothing out of the can matches your needs. You can also buy something like Target Coatings EM6500 and they tint to any BM and SW color. Direct from DW, you can buy ProClassic which can be tinted, at least for lighter colors. BM's Impervo can be tinted. All of these are acrylics and are "more compatible" with waterborne top coats as they tend to cure harder than typical latex paint.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks to you both. I have already painted the box with white latex. Can I still coat with 1) milk paint OR 2) BM Impervio (I have a no tint can) on top of Latex or...is it too late? Thanks

True milk paint is normally applied directly to the wood. I'm not sure how well it would work over latex paint. You should be able put the Impervo over it. Best practice is to ALWAYS test things on scrap from the project before committing to the real deal.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...