Thread: Which Blum cup hinges for this custom medicine cabinet build?

Which Blum cup hinges for this custom medicine cabinet build?

Hi all,

I've used Blum cup hinges for a number of cabinet builds and would like to use them again for a couple of custom medicine cabinets that I'm about to start building.

However, I can't figure out which Blum hinges - if any - are appropriate for the design I'm trying to achieve.

In short, the door/mirror to the medicine cabinet will be somewhat larger than the cabinet, i.e., more than a "full overlay" door. I anticipate that the door will extend past the cabinet by about 1" - 2" on all sides.

I've attached a photo of the design I'm trying to replicate, showing the door extending past the cabinet edges.

The design I'm trying to replicate does show cup hinges being used. Can anyone tell me what this style of hinge is called?

Thanks for reading!
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Blum hinge used looks like a 170 deg. It also appears that there is min overlay. I will check my Blum spec catalog today at the shop and
    reply tomorrow. There may be a way but the open angle will be limited to 90 deg. Off hand a thick door hinge may work.
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

In the Blum line, the 39C can be had with up to 1 9/16" overlay. https://www.wwhardware.com//blum-com...g-hinges-b039c

Overlay isn't your issue. Your issue is going to be boring distance. When you open the door it has to hang in front of the cabinet side. The outside portion of your door will have nowhere to go. You'd need a home that articulates outward a couple of inches. I'm pretty sure its not something Blum makes.

I built a medicine cabinet with a mirror door that overlayed the frame all around, very much like your photo. I used a Blum 170° hinge and 0 mm mounting plate. The boring distance is around 12 mm and gives an overlay of about an inch. Blum has a special applications page with this combination.

John

Checked the Blum specs today. There is a hinge that will give a 41mm overlay. If you build the case with 1/2" material your overlay could be 1.1 inches.
    Example: Case width 16" Door width 18.2"
    20200819_130855_resized.jpg
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

Quote Originally Posted by Robert L Stewart View Post
    Checked the Blum specs today. There is a hinge that will give a 41mm overlay. If you build the case with 1/2" material your overlay could be 1.1 inches.
    Example: Case width 16" Door width 18.2"
    20200819_130855_resized.jpg
    That's the hinge. I thought it was a 170°, but that's the one.

John

I have been busy working on the bathroom remodel and just returned here to see all your helpful comments. Thank you!

Thanks especially to Robert Stewart & John TenEyck for finding the needed hinge.

Robert: I don't see the hinge's model number in that catalogue photo, but I think I have identified it as part number 71T7500D. If so, it looks like it has been discontinued:

https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/sp...ening-125.html

Indeed, the most recent (2018/2019) catalogue which I downloaded from Blum's website does not list this hinge.

However, the current catalogue does list part number 71B7550D which is listed as a 125-degree / 0-protrustion hinge used with thick doors (catalogue pages attached). However, the illustrations are different and it is unclear to me if this is supposed to be a replacement for the discontinued model. Do you think this hinge would be suitable for my application?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I called Blum customer service and asked them about the discontinued part number (71T7500D). They stated that it has been replaced by 71B7550D and that the only difference is that the replacement has integrated blumotion (soft close).