Thread: Dewalt 735 Planer won't cut

Dewalt 735 Planer won't cut

Hoping someone familiar with the 735 might be able to help troubleshoot this for me. The machine is new and never used but has been sitting for longer than the warranty so a return isn't an option for me.
    It powers up, the feeder works, but there was is no cutting action...none at all. I've lowered the cutter heads to a point where I'm certain they'd be taking a significant amount of wood if they were turning. I took the top off just to make certain the machine was shipped w blades installed. While the top was off I noticed a spring action release latch on the side which I believe is some sort of safety measure. It certainly kept me from running the planer with the hood off just to see what's happening, or not happening as the case may be. I put the hood back on correctly and it fit just fine, but still no cutting action.
    All I can come up with is maybe the release lever isn't releasing the cutter head when the hood is back on? I did notice the 'speed' lever (fine cuts or fast removal) was sort of in between 1 and 2 but I moved it all the way over to 1 while the motor was running. I'm not sure what else to look for and so I'm hoping somebody here might have some idea or experience with this issue.
    Tried calling Dewalt help center but I was on hold for 30 minutes until their 5pm closing. The "dial 1 for a call back" feature wasn't working

If you believe the cutter is not turning, you can crank the unit all the way up. Then turn it on and look at the cutter (wear safety glasses) from below. You certainly should be able to see the cutter with the unit cranked all the way up. The bed is shiney so you may be able to see the cutter in its reflection if nothing else.

If it's not turning, check the belt that drives the cutter.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

check the knob that controls the feed rate, I vaguely recall along time ago that this was an issue for me, so switch between the two settings while the machine is running

Thanks for the suggestions Mike (Henderson and Shields). It's working. There may have been a different 'problem' each time I tried, but they were 'user' problems.
    I kept lowering the bed down a 1/32" at a time until the board simply wouldn't fit under the rollers in dismay that no chips were flying despite the screaming motor.

After that. I played with the speed setting before trying another run or two. Started running by feel rather than the cut gauge, and the DeWalt rollers have a heavier engagement than my old Ridgid. I''m not accustomed to bumping the rollers on the initial feed..a feeling on the Ridgid that would mean the cutters are set to make a very very aggressive cut. Anyway, by the feel of the rollers I thought the now working cutters were low enough. The good news is that it cuts great and my order got out on time...offsetting at least some costs to my hobby.

Just to make sure, you know about the gauge on the front of the planer, don't you? When you push your piece of wood just at the entry, it will show you how deep of a cut you're going to take.

I know that's kind of obvious but I'm mention it just to cover all the bases.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

If you have it connected to a dust collector you can remove the chip blower on the end of the motor which will reduce noise. I had one for years and learned about that when I was selling it. I didn’t try it.