Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric outlets mystery

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    Sound advice.

I believe multiwire branch circuits are still code compliant.
    Not to my knowledge. All need own neutral. I know it is that way in commercial work.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    Not to my knowledge. All need own neutral. I know it is that way in commercial work.
    Wrt multiwire branch circuits, I believe 210.4 covers its use.
    I think in at least one instance, a detached garage, if one wants to run power to it without running a sub panel, one could argue a mwbc is the only code compliant way to do it.

edit: this exact discussion is taking place on Mike Holt’s forum right now.
    Last edited by Charlie Velasquez; 07-20-2020 at 10:35 PM.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Shared neutrals were common practice, for decades, before Arc Fault breakers were required, and they found out that wasn't a good recipe.

I got my license in 1975, but only did the electrical work in the new houses, that I built one of for 33 years. I never felt comfortable with shared neutrals, so didn't use them. My houses built in the '70's, through the '90's, may have been some of the few built without shared neutrals. I was building spec houses, under no boss, so no pressure for fast, and cheap.