Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starrett 24" Bevelled Straight Edge. Series 385, or 386? Advice please.

Starrett 24" Bevelled Straight Edge. Series 385, or 386? Advice please.

Hello all,

I am looking for advice to help me decide on which Starrett 24" Bevelled Straight Edge to buy.
    I gather the main difference between the 385-24 and the 386-24, is the thickness. The 385 is 4.4mm, the 386 is 2.4mm.

Does anybody have experience with either. I wonder if the 4.4mm may be slightly more stable over time.
    For what it's worth, Lie Nielsen carry the 386-24 (thinner variant) as their sole Starrett straight edge.

Any advice would be gratefully received
    Thanks

The 386 model is better suited for a drafting table but perhaps more likely to bend along its length, even as it remains straight along its edge.

The 385 model is a stand-alone datum edge on machines and stock in the workshop. In normal use you won't see it bend. Here's my 385-24 standing easily on edge.

on end.jpg

The bevel edge is nice and slim and perfect for looking for light gaps between it and the tool or work, except that it doesn't stand on its own that way, of course. I made two blocks to enable it to stand hands-free on the work:

Starrett blocks.jpg in blocks.jpg

Neither model has graduations. The choice depends on whether you want to use it in the house or in the shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Jones 5443; 06-07-2020 at 3:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Theo Hall View Post
    Hello all,

I am looking for advice to help me decide on which Starrett 24" Bevelled Straight Edge to buy.
    I gather the main difference between the 385-24 and the 386-24, is the thickness. The 385 is 4.4mm, the 386 is 2.4mm.

Does anybody have experience with either. I wonder if the 4.4mm may be slightly more stable over time.
    For what it's worth, Lie Nielsen carry the 386-24 (thinner variant) as their sole Starrett straight edge.

Any advice would be gratefully received
    Thanks
    Go with the thicker one (the 385.) It’s more useful. Handle it with gloves (preferably white cotton,) it rusts with skin contact. It’s a precision instrument.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 06-07-2020 at 6:13 AM.

These are expensive.

As mentioned above: they're for machine tooling.

As a handtool woodworker, they are orders of magnitude more precise than absolutely necessary.

Seeking precision like this will slow most joinery and planing steps to a crawl if it is your standard.

A standard 24" box beam level from Stanley is adequate, robust and affordable by comparison.

http://www.walkemooretools.com/winding-sticks/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    These are expensive.

As mentioned above: they're for machine tooling.

As a handtool woodworker, they are orders of magnitude more precise than absolutely necessary.

Seeking precision like this will slow most joinery and planing steps to a crawl if it is your standard.

A standard 24" box beam level from Stanley is adequate, robust and affordable by comparison.

http://www.walkemooretools.com/winding-sticks/
    I will use these straight edges for the absolute precision set-up of musical instruments, with a few thous of an inch accuracy.

Thank you for all other replies so far. I would be very grateful to hear from any owners of either the 385 or 386, and their experience with them.

I will use these straight edges for the absolute precision set-up of musical instruments, with a few thous of an inch accuracy.
    Will you be making these, entirely by hand?

Blog Entries
    Look at Suburban Tool. Top quality. I had a Starrett for all of two days, arrived and returned.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Will you be making these, entirely by hand?
    Yes, I do. For the most part a straight edge this accurate is perhaps not necessary.

However, for the job of setting the neck angle, and thus the string heights, it is absolutely necessary given that I work to about 3 thou/inch accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Look at Suburban Tool. Top quality. I had a Starrett for all of two days, arrived and returned.
    Thank you, I certainly will. May I ask why you returned the STarrett?

I have the Starrett 380 Series which is like the 385, except that it's not beveled, in 12"- 18"- 24"- 36"- 48" in the 4.4mm thickness. It's stable and precise. I use them for layout and tool set up. However, as has been stated above, it will rust with skin contact.

Gotcha.

I saw a video from Michael Greenfield on the topic.

Thank you, I certainly will. May I ask why you returned the STarrett?
    I’m not Brian, but in an earlier thread on this subject he stated that it was because of shipping damage from Starrett. If you order it from some place like amazon, you can specify that it be shipped in a box (gift status, say.)

I bought the 386-24 because I had used one for two weeks and liked it because of the hole for hanging it on a wall. I found one on Amazon for under $50 and snapped it up. It came in the Starrett thin cardboard wrapping packed in a heavy cardboard mailing tube.

Blog Entries
    It had a curve to it, which was bothersome to me.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.