Thread: Bridge City Tool Sale(?)

Bridge City Tool Sale(?)

Been getting a lot of internet sale advertising from Bridge City Tool Works offering big discounts but appears to be making up the reduction in cost per item by upping shipping charges, effectively breaking even to the consumer. The tool offerings appear to be both functional and cosmetically attractive. Any one join the "temptation" band wagon and made recent purchases? I purchased their miter square and really like the fit and finish of the product.

You'll get both sides Fritz - there are BC lovers and BC haters.

I've only bought one item of theirs - a tiny BC pocket square for $16. It has a magnet-mounted sliding steel fence that can be set for right- or left-hand marking in layout work. The fence is cheap sheet metal and I dont trust it to hold well. If I'd paid more for it, I'd return it to LV. As it is, it just sits there unused. Edit: I dont think this is representative of their other offerings. But I cant afford most of the rest, or see no point. YMMV

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 05-20-2020 at 11:18 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

They recently had a social media promotion where you could find redeemable codes on their website for tools. It turned into a giant mess where they were lying about the codes being available just hidden, even though the codes were being added and taken away. It was pretty deceptive and soured me on them as a business since it was a giant ploy to drive up clicks to their website. Them offering discount codes and then increasing shipping so there's no actual savings doesn't surprise me.

I have a BCT brass/wood/steel sliding bevel and try-square from ~30 years ago. They are beautiful and of excellent quality.

Their more recent stuff doesn't appeal to me. Too "cold".

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    You'll get both sides Fritz - there are BC lovers and BC haters.

I've only bought one item of theirs - a tiny BC pocket square for $16. It has a magnet-mounted sliding steel fence that can be set for right- or left-hand marking in layout work. The fence is cheap sheet metal and I dont trust it to hold well. If I'd paid more for it, I'd return it to LV. As it is, it just sits there unused. Edit: I dont think this is representative of their other offerings. But I cant afford most of the rest, or see no point. YMMV

Fred
    I too was disappointed with that square. The magnets that hold the fence are useless. What a waste.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    I too was disappointed with that square. The magnets that hold the fence are useless. What a waste.
    Thanks Tony. I'm glad to hear it wasn't just me!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    John Economaki (the original Bridge City founder), has sold his business with the understanding there would be no change in the quality of their offerings. Sadly, that understanding has not been widely confirmed.