Thread: ca glue choice

ca glue choice

what ca glue do you like---tks,joe

I've had great success with a product that seems to recently have been marketed for wood turners and woodworkers - GluBoost. You can buy online. It's more expensive than others but seems to last longer in the containers before hardening. It comes in a couple of thicknesses and, like other CA's it can be dyed various colors with dye. It seems to have been previously successful in the guitar body repairing craft, for its color matching capabilities and their accelerator which seems to dry clearer than others. I'm sure you'll get a variety of answers because there are a lot out there and each user seems to have their favorite. I've used others but like GluBoost best so far.

If I am going to mail order some, I get the stuff Highland Woodworking sells. But if I'm only going to use a little, I use whatever brand I can find in the tiny one-use tubes.

For finishing pens i use GluBoost. Had great results with Mercury Flex before switching. For flooding powders into small cracks--i really like Bob Smith Ind Super Thin. Gluing brass tubes into blanks--thick to gel, and pretty flexible on the brands. Never could get good results from Stick Fast, though some are fans.
    Right now, i have at least 4 viscosities from 3 or 4 makers in the basement--all have good reason to be there.
    earl

I have been buying mine, for 50 years, from a small local toy and hobby shop. Bob Smith is the brand. Good stuff, but I don't use much of it... I think it is as good as any other, and I buy local whenever I can.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by joe zarnitz View Post
    what ca glue do you like---tks,joe
    I like Hotstuff and Mercury Adhesives. The Mercury have guaranteed replacement if it sets up in the bottle and the bottles are the best I've seen with a stainless steel pin that keeps the nozzle clean.

Whatever you get, it will last a lot longer if you keep the moisture away. I store open bottles in a sealed container with indicator desiccant beads to keep the air inside very dry.

CA_glue_storage_IMG_5481.jpg

JKJ

I recently starting using starbond. Reasonable packaging, reasonable price. I just keep it in a fridge.

I've used CA from Starbond for a few years, happy with the results. I like their odorless thin version; it's not irritating to the eyes. Also like that they provide microtips that help with applying it precisely. Buy right from the company, starbond.com

I copied JKJ's trick of storing in a container with desiccant to extend shelf life. Sam's Club sells Jif peanut butter in tall jars with screw top. I use the empty jar to store the CA glue. It's tall enough to hold the bottle with microtip attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I have been buying mine, for 50 years, from a small local toy and hobby shop. Bob Smith is the brand. Good stuff, but I don't use much of it... I think it is as good as any other, and I buy local whenever I can.

robo hippy
    I wonder who makes it. Someone in the industry told me all CA sold as made in the USA came from one of only three manufacturors. Don't know about import.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    I recently starting using starbond. Reasonable packaging, reasonable price. I just keep it in a fridge.
    Same here. I like starbond ultra thin and the thick black.

The label said made in Atascadero, CA. No clue about there only being 3 places in the US that make the stuff. Started off with Hot Stuff, which may have been the first one made, and then the toy store switched to the Bob Smith stuff. It does every thing I need it to do, which is mostly filling knot holes. I don't like selling pieces with prepared cracks. I had a comment on one of my videos by a turner who said his customers preferred repaired cracks.... In show biz, you just never know.

robo hippy

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Add me to the Starbond list. It’s very thin (so it penetrates deep into wood and micro cracks) and comes with a bazillion of those tiny applicators. I buy it in the large bottle.

CA is pretty much indispensable in my studio. I use the thin variety to stabilize punky wood, control cracks, and keep bark from flying off natural edge projects. It’s a great finish, too, and polished to a luster.

The black variety is tricky to use (it stains) but a great solution to “enhance” wider cracks and inclusions. It’s flexible, too, which helps to keep it in place.

check out this video for how to store your CA glue from Lyle Jamasion https://youtu.be/Sx8RaqeEjl0

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baxter View Post
    check out this video for how to store your CA glue from Lyle Jamasion https://youtu.be/Sx8RaqeEjl0
    Interesting. I knew to burp the bottles, but I would have never thought to just leave open without a cap.