Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying a few things from vendors, now rather than later

I'm glad to hear of a like mind. I've bought several pieces lately with the idea of supporting the vendors. I fight a little buyer's remorse ("Where am I gonna put this stuff??!'), but it's just my latent Scotsman.
    The world is going to be a different place in the backwash of this moment, and there will be casualties. Thanks again for your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale View Post
    While my hand tool needs are pretty well taken care I did order a 12" jointer/planer combo and we just signed a contract for 16.7Kw of solar for the house and shop. I am running low on some shop supplies though, stains, paper towels and finishes.

Like Bruce, we're retired and our money is safe and our income won't be effected by this economic studder.

What combination machine did you get? I've been checking these machines out really closely lately and so badly want to buy one. Although I'm in the camp of not being retired so the purchase is certainly going to need to wait a little till the economy shifts a bit. I have recently placed an order with LV but as of right now I'm just kind of watching and hopping this whole things lifts a little and people get back to work. I currently have a job but businesses need to start to open in order for me to keep my job.

20200427_162830.jpgSorry Tony, a busy couple days here.....

I bought the Grizzly G0634xp 12" Jointer/Planer and picked it up from the UPS freight terminal yesterday afternoon.
    I was looking for a 12" jointer to replace my 6" Bridgewood and decided to save some $$ with a J/P combo. I've got a 15" Bridgewood planer so the planer function in the combo won't see much use. Another benefit is the weight savings since i need to drag it up 23 steps to the shop in the second floor of the garage.

20200427_162842_edited.jpg
    Last edited by Brian Hale; 04-28-2020 at 9:29 AM.
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I'm taking the opposite point of view on woodworking tool purchases and suspect many vendors have experienced increased sales because of the pandemic. I'll break loose with my next round of purchases, a list which involves about $2k worth of small hand tools, when I see some promotions like free shipping.
    Lee Valley has free shipping. One item has been on my list for a while. An item was added that has been on my gardening wish list for over a decade.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)