Thread: Vacuum setup... Leave it in place?

Vacuum setup... Leave it in place?

With the chaos that is Covid-19 I found time to setup my frugal vacuum kit, I made it so that it is easily removable with no tools, basically hangs on some bolts. My question is does anyone simply leave it next to the lathe? Has anyone had any bad experiences leaving a setup next to the lathe? Will the dust and chips mess it up at all? I'd really rather just leave it there, but am concerned and would like to hear other's experiences.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice set up ! I like the conveniently placed controls.

My vacuum system has been permanently installed on my lathe for over 10 years with no problems. I do disconnect the vacuum line and bearing from the hand wheel when not using it, but other than that it is fine where it is.
    IMG_3157e.jpg IMG_3141e.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

Thanks for the response. I think i will leave it in place!

I got tired of cleaning chips off of my vacuum setup which was located under the lathe. So, I ended up mounting it in a small cabinet above the lathe. When it is in use, I can open the cabinet, but otherwise it stays in there without getting dust all over and in it.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

my vac pump lives in a compartment on the cart/drawers that supports the grinder right next to the lathe. Its always ready to deploy in 10 sec or less.

I haven't used it much yet, but mine is right under the motor, mounted to the end of the lathe. I really don't see an issue with it. If covered in chips/dust, just blow it off before using. I do have filters/mufflers on the two exhaust ports with openings facing down. My turning methods don't product a whole lot of chips in that area anyway. Minimizing "shelf area" at motor fan inputs would help prevent build up in those critical areas too.
    IMG_1765.jpg
    Last edited by tom lucas; 04-18-2020 at 8:33 AM.