Thread: DVD stand alone verses DVD in computer

DVD stand alone verses DVD in computer

I have computers in the shop rooms to have you tube or DVDs. Ive asked two computer guys twice is the DVD player any better than the DVD's in computers and no response.

The main machine room has a Zotac mini on Linux and a Sony DVD player. Others are old computers with DVD players. Am I going to see a difference on a screen between the two? they are all put into a receiver and speakers and even with cheap gear sound is good, speakers far apart.

The linux has to be updated but may just stick in an old Dell to have one piece instead of the two separates. I guess I can answer my own question by running them side by side or if I cant run a DVD on one then unplug all. Question relates to both picture quality and sound quality. maybe there were different quality of DVD in computers as well.

Blog Entries
    Having had both, no difference was ever noticed.

The problem with a built in DVD player is if anything goes wrong with it. With an external player, it is easier to replace if it dies.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    We just got an external drive for the MacBook Air. The only problem I have had is remembering to eject the disc before exiting Music or Photos. I have been working on ripping the CD collection. I am discovering that some newer CDs have copyright protections built in.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Just to be clear - are you talking about a DVD internal to a computer vs a DVD that attaches to a computer with something like a USB connection
    OR

Are you talking about a DVD attached to - either internal or external - vs a DVD attached to a TV or monitor?

I have all three - a DVD internal to my laptop, a USB DVD my wife uses via USB on her laptop and an external DVD that plugs into our Roku TV/Monitor.

The computer DVDs operate exactly the same.

The one on the Roku is sort of miserable to use because of the remote (very tiny and ill defined buttons on the remote). Having a mouse and a keyboard is much better than using the tiny buttons on the remote to navigate.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

DVD format has multiple purposes. "What you see" if you play DVD video will be the same whether the unit is internal to a computer, plugged into a computer externally or attached to a TV other than respective screen capabilities. But DVD players intended for attaching to a TV are typically for playback while those designed to interface with computers also tend to have data recording capability. That said, they are not generally part of a computer setup these days and are pretty much a "legacy" device, just like spinning hard drives have quickly evolved to. Spinners in high capacity storage remain common, but not internal to most current generation computers. DVD drives in computers have faired similarly...you're not really going to find them in most current generation computers anymore.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't care about recording its only playback

what I want to know is now I run a Sony DVD for the picture into a computer or direct to a TV ill have to check that.

The sound portion goes out of the DVD direct to a receiver. the sound and picture are both really good even with a cheap receiver and speakers.

Now if I take that out and run a different computer that has a built in DVD will I end up with the same picture and sound quality?