Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Small sanders

Nice choice, Brian. You'll find that in addition to curved/flat, that varying the vacuum for dust extraction will also be affected by the abrasive...as you move to finer and finer, you'll sometimes need to reduce vacuum to avoid sticking. It's not unlike the effect you get while face jointing a board...the flatter it gets, the "stickier" it gets on the smooth surface.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Jim! I do currently tune the vacuum as you mention.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    I know that gloves are generally taboo in the shop, but might be worth a try (if you haven’t already) before forking out for a new sander.
    +1

I use chainsaws a fair amount (trim work!) and had the same problem with vibration. Picked up some vibration-dampening gloves on ebay and they've helped a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Reverb View Post
    +1

I use chainsaws a fair amount (trim work!) and had the same problem with vibration. Picked up some vibration-dampening gloves on ebay and they've helped a lot.
    Jacob, your comments reminded me of a tool buying encounter I had 25 years ago.

I was in the market for a new 12v cordłess drill for the workshop ... in other words, furniture making orientated. The choice came down to two drills, one from Panasonic and one from Festool. I had heft a great number in my quest for the best balanced drill in the hand. At the time I was suffering from severe tennis elbow (too much squash), and holding a drill out in front of me was painful. The elbow injury offered great sensitivity to the variations of each drill on offer, and it was this way that I was able to reduce the choices to these two models. In the end I went for the Panasonic. It was just that little better than the Festool. Interestingly, 25 years later I still have and use this drill. I also have a Festool C12, purchased 4 years ago, and the Panasonic continues to stack up well.

I guess that the moral of the story is that the better tools do look after our physical issues.

Brian, great choice, and I wish you well in its use.

Regards from Singapore ... on my way to Munich.

Derek