Thread: Paint can cleanup tip.

Paint can cleanup tip.

Tip for pouring product out of a paint can. I was pouring oil paint out of a new one gallon can into a small jar to thin and strain for spraying. Last time I made a big mess a lot went down the side and more was wasted sitting in the groove on top of the can. I had a roll of window screen spline so I cut a piece about one foot long. I opened the can and shoved the spline into the groove with a screwdriver. It was a reasonable fit. I left several inches out to grab later. Poured the paint. cleaned the rim with a rag and then pulled out the spine and replaced the lid.
    Bil lD

For small amounts like that, I use a ladle from the dollar store. Wipe off the ladle and clean up is done.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Good idea if you have some spline. If not, use a screwdriver to punch 4 neat slots at the points of the compass in the base of the groove. This assists pouring and gets the lid back on tight with no hydraulic lock. There is no loss of seal and the tin performs its task for longer than I have had cause to store products. It's an old professionals trick. Cheers

Consider adding an Awl to the tool arsenal to punch holes. Mine of an old screwdriver shank made with the bench grinder isn't fancy but is sure handy.