Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: More About Keyless Entry

More About Keyless Entry

Our car has keyless entry/start and a keypad to open the door without your key (STUPID).

On vacation several years ago, parked in a hotels parking lot, our car got broken into, (nothing was broken). Searched the web; a thief can view your VIN number, go on the dark web and find the default pass code for the keypad.

It was Christmas time our car was full of presents, we lost about $800 worth of stuff (presents and cold weather gear) and then spent another $120 to have the keypad disabled.
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

I don't have a car like that, but my Harley won't start without a key fob, or you have to know the security bypass code.
    Most owners are too lazy to change the factory pin code, but many (me included) do.
    Did you not have that option? I'm surprised the factory would not have included that ability in the software.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

I love the keypad on my escape. It comes in handy often. On the escape, at least, once you personalize the code, the factory default no longer works. It can be reset to factory default, but that requires access to inside of car.

I don't know, but I think the Factory Pass Code doesn't go away, how will the police get into the car without breaking a window if they can't use the FPC?
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

Don't know. Same way they do on cars without keypads I guess.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Allen View Post
    I don't know, but I think the Factory Pass Code doesn't go away, how will the police get into the car without breaking a window if they can't use the FPC?
    How often do police need to get into a car?

It isn't even needed to tow a car to impound.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

So, maybe your theif was a cop?

I just installed a keyless deadbolt our front door. the instructions tell you to change the master code and erase the default entry code. The codes are like 0000 and 1234
    Bill D

Had an interesting experience with keyless entry/ignition a while back. Wife and I went shopping, dropped her off at the store and went and parked the car. Tried to lock the car with the button on the door and it wouldn't lock, that's when I realized I had forgotten my fob at home and we had been using her fob. I was able to lock it using the lock button inside but if I'd had to restart the car I wouldn't have been able to. Still love the keyless system but it can fool you.

Other than an emergency, when smashing the window would be faster and justified, why would the police be able to legally get into your car?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Other than an emergency, when smashing the window would be faster and justified, why would the police be able to legally get into your car?
    Maybe only to open the door if I lock myself out? Probably depends on where you live and what you drive. I don't know if a "slim jim" works on a car with power locks.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Our Honda Accord will not let you lock the key fob inside the car passenger area. You can however lock a key fob in the trunk.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

13. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    How often do police need to get into a car?

It isn't even needed to tow a car to impound.

jtk
    When a child or dog is locked in a car in the hot sun, it's better to have a pass code than to break a window.

Oh, wait, you're in Rainville, WA where there's never sun. Never mind.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Maybe only to open the door if I lock myself out? Probably depends on where you live and what you drive. I don't know if a "slim jim" works on a car with power locks.
    I think that is what roadside assistance plans are for, wouldn't calling the police to open your car door if you lock yourself out a misuse of the police? Not familiar with the keypad systems for cars, I have one for our house and it works great, never have to remember to carry a key. But how does the ignition work with keypad type entry systems? Do you need a fob? If so what's the advantage of the keypad over a single button on the door linked to the fob? Or is there a second keypad to start the car?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Our Honda Accord will not let you lock the key fob inside the car passenger area. You can however lock a key fob in the trunk.
    According to the dealer, the same is true of my Nissan Murano but it did malfunction once and locked with the fob inside, had to call BCAA to get in, tried to lock the car with the fob inside to test the system (with the window open) and it always refused so the one time was a fluke.