Thread: 45 degree bevels for small boxes without tilting table saw blade or maybe use router

45 degree bevels for small boxes without tilting table saw blade or maybe use router

I like to make small boxes but my job site saw is not accurate for 45 degree bevels. I have seen sliding jigs for table saw that hold the material at a 45 degree angle , anyone tried them and willing to share the experience? Wood magazine has plans to make this sled using 2 speed squares to hold the material at a 45 degree angle that looks interesting; have not tried this yet. Alternatively, I am thinking of buying a 45 degree chamfer bit and cutting these bevels on my router table.......but how to precisely control length of piece being cut? Appreciate any suggestions. Happy New Year to all.

Tom

Yes, a sled is a fine way to cut 45* bevels on a TS. That's how I did it. The only time I would tilt the blade was for compound angles. I have also used a router bit for 45* and for other angles. It works very well if you have a router table. The limitation of a router bit for this purpose is that cutting end grain involves more tearout than a TS does. Have a look at "Tapers and Beve;s" starting on page 90 of this book. Good instructions are also available in The Accurate Table Saw by Ian Kirby (a book worth buying IMO). His basic idea is to make jigs for cutting tapers, bevels and miters rather than using the fences etc that came with the saw. Especially with an inexpensive(?) contractor's saw it is better to lock in the blade tilt and miter gauge at 90* and use jigs.

I should mention the use of a shooting board to tweak angles cuts to near-perfection. That's a hand-tool technique but you should look into it

Doug

Blog Entries
    Several sled or fence riding jigs on the web. You can also use a 45* "v-groove" bit on the router table. I made a quick and dirty solution for my shooting board. This one is sized for my low angle block plane but, could easily be modified for what you have.

Shooting Board miter acc (1).jpg

Made from ply with a skid that sets in the location usually occupied by the plane being used for shooting.

Shooting Board miter acc (6).jpg

Here's my first test piece on some scrap.

Shooting Board miter acc (9).jpg

and a box.

swap-2 (43).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-29-2018 at 10:01 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    If you make a sled for your table saw to cut 45 degree bevels. make sure you use a zero clearance insert so the little wedge shaped cut off doesn't drop down into the throat opening and pinch the blade. You can damage the blade if it does jam in there, not to mention the loud noise that will be made.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I used a 45 degree chamfer bit on the router table for quite a while, before I got a cabinet saw. You can get very accurate miters that way, but it's a bit more complicated to set up. You'll need a coping sled of some kind to move the board end past the bit safely and accurately, and to allow for the use of a backer board to eliminate tearout. Also, make sure the cutting length of the bit is enough for the full length of the cut. I always made two or three passes on each joint to keep the cuts clean.

So, yes it works, and yes, it's much simpler on a good saw.

I have been searching for a YS jig like this but can't find anything. Any links you can provide to start me on the right path?