Thread: segmented cross feature ring

segmented cross feature ring

I have started building a cross feature ring for a burial urn. It is 8.25 OD with 12 pieces x 1.5" tall. I have sandwiched 1/4" ebony between walnut as the bottom portion of the cross. I want the ebony horizontal part of the cross to to be 1.5". this will give me 5/8" horizontal pieces sticking out each side of the 1/4" vertical ebony piece.
    Would it be best to just make a 6 sided ring and just add 1.5 spacers.
    thanks
    Al

Without a drawing of your layout (plan) I can not be of help. Can you get a photo of such plan and post it. Then perhaps I or others can offer advice.
    C&C WELCOME

cross 1.jpgcross 2.jpg
    The piece with the corner missing is 1.5". The problem is 1.5 x 12 does not give me 8.25. The small piece on top is no problem. Its the same as the main body

Using the second photo, I would suggest making a ring at the height of the cross piece, and trimming the two segments that butt against cross piece to fit. Then the next ring as you have been doing. I believe that cutting cross peice at the angle of the other segments would be helpful. Hope this is helpful. Allan
    C&C WELCOME

Allan Kuntz--

You wrote"The problem is 1.5 x 12 does not give me 8.25."

The segment length needed for 8.25 OD with 1/4" spacers is 1- 15/16" So, you can add walnut to make up 3/16" in the segment containing the 1 1/2" horizontal piece of ebony (3/32" on each side). Conceptually, you would simply glue walnut to each end of the ebony before you cut the segment. That will satisfy the math. You could alter your design by adding 3/16" to the horizontal piece of ebony if that did not spoil the appearance you want. That ring would be 1/4" thick. The next ring would be as thick as the top vertical part of the cross.

As I look at your photo, I wonder whether you would like to omit the spacers in that ring. The segment length needed without spacers is 2 7/32".

Doug

Some progress. I am now looking for a bit more advise on where in this urn I should put the ring. I am thinking on taking one of the rings above the
    crosses and putting it below the crosses.
    Also presentation will be everything with this urn as some of the top vertical pieces of the cross do not line up. I built the top ring on its own instead of parting it off the bottom. Do you think if I parted a piece off now from the bottom on the cross and put it on the top so they all line up that it would through out the proportion
    u1.jpgu3.jpg

Draw the crosses as you are thinking with some differing proportions. Decide on the one you like the most and what is do able. Feature ring is usually at the widest point in the piece. Looks pretty good as is. It is best to have detailed drawings and have someone (others) critic the design for shape and proportion. Good luck. Allan
    C&C WELCOME

p1.jpgp2.jpgp3.jpgp4.jpgp5.jpgp6.jpg Progress pics of urn. Things are going good.

Don't know if I was much help, but you seem to have it whipped into line and close to the finish.
    C&C WELCOME

OOPS. I thought I could use little light in my after life. Already fixed. Had to make 4 new rings

Done. Not real impressed with the shape but I should fit. It held 21 cups of mortar mix. I learned to pay attention to the novice intermediate and advanced tabs in segment pro
    Thanks for following
    d2.jpg

Looks very good.
    C&C WELCOME

Quote Originally Posted by allan kuntz View Post
    OOPS. I thought I could use little light in my after life. Already fixed. Had to make 4 new rings
    Good save!!