Thread: Bread Box / Red Oak

Bread Box / Red Oak

I am trying to finish up a Bread Box made with Red Oak.
    In reality I think 99% of the time the bread that goes in it
    will be plastic bagged. However on the very unlikely event
    that a home baked loaf got in there...what would be a good
    finish both from a food safety standpoint and that would look
    good on the Red Oak? Any input appreciated.

I built one a few years ago out of red oak and just used BLO as a finish. It gave the box an amber color so if you want to keep the color of the wood more natural, you might try using lacquer. I think it would be food safe after it cures. Epoxy might be another option.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

All finishes sold today are "food safe" when fully cured. However, any oil based product may off-gas "forever" on the inside of a box, so I suggest you use something like the lacquer Steve mentions or shellac. Both will provide a slight warm, amber tone to the wood and will not impart odor to the food. This is especially important when your bread isn't bagged, but off-gassing can penetrate into "sealed" places more than many folks realize. If you want a cooler look, use a water borne finish for the same reasons.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would use shellac on the inside. No question. Second choice would be water based acrylic. Some lacquer products will smell for a long time (not as long as varnish but a while). I'm not a fan of BLO, especially for items that would be used in a kitchen, but it would merit consideration for the outside. Depending on location I'd probably use shellac all around or acrylic on the outside.

Doug

I agree with Doug. Use shellac, no question. Otherwise use your preferred edible cooking oil.

Jim, I would hesitate to give the finish manufacturers such an endorsement. Registration as food safe is a whole separate category of compliance that manufacturers only spend money on for specific products for that market. Cheers