Thread: inverters

inverters

How can I test my Powermatic 3520b inverter to see if it's bad?
    It just stopped powering on, There is all zeros on the inverter.
    Rex

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Guinn View Post
    How can I test my Powermatic 3520b inverter to see if it's bad?
    It just stopped powering on, There is all zeros on the inverter.
    Doc Green has a writeup about the PM and how to check some things. http://www.docgreenwoodturner.com/ar...tml#Powermatic

Most problems with the powermatic have been the remote switch. If you don't have the remote switch then I would check the main switch. After that turn everything off and unplug the lathe. Then check for a loose wire all around the switch. Then pull the cover off the VFD and check to see that all the wires are tight there. I've seen a problem where one wire was simply loose under it's locking screw. Go to Doc's site and see what he has to say also. If all else fails call Powermatic. They have been good about helping people.

Mine does that all the time. Usually I unplug it and wait for the click and the then plug it in and go. Sometimes I have to do it twice

Quote Originally Posted by tom martin View Post
    Mine does that all the time. Usually I unplug it and wait for the click and the then plug it in and go. Sometimes I have to do it twice
    The inverter on one of my Jet 1642 lathes did exactly that for years, including the occasional need for two cycles.

Then one day it did nothing. No zeros, no nothin', zip, zilch. The power supply was fine - I traced through the circuitry with an oscilloscope but couldn't figure it out without a schematic. With some help from Harvey Meyer I bought an inexpensive inverter and learned to program it.

JKJ