Thread: Railing design/structure...where to use bolt and/or screws

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Railing design/structure...where to use bolt and/or screws

Hello, my next project is a railing of about 3 feet. I have never bolt in a newel post and I am terrified. Currently we have only subfloors (1939) and in the process to get hardwood floors installed. The way I am envisioning the railing will enable me to screw/bolt the wood board to the floor in several pieces instead of just one place (the one under the newel post). Here a brief summary of the layout: one stand alone post, one post attached to the wall full lenght, then the railing between the post as shown in my drawing. No angle, just a straight 3 feet structure. I have attached few inspirational pictures that might explain better what I am trying to accomplish. I might not use the vertical dowels but a stainless steel cabling. Not sure yet. My questions are: 1) is my plan a safe and sound solution? 2) where do I use bolts and screws to make sure everything hold the purpose of the railing (protection from falling over a staircase). The structure is straight, it is not built on stairs (it is more a balcony baluster like the 1st pic). Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.
    (Disclosure: both pics were from Pinterest and they had a blog linked but no instruction on how to bolt/screw the 1x4 to the floor).
    Attached Images Attached Images