Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Do you wear a watch while woodworking?

Hey just wondering, does anyone know what time it is ?

these guys do, intro a bit long but they get time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uy0ldI_1HA

No, I do not use any jewels or watch

No, I do not use any jewels or watch while in the workshop... additionally I never have music in the shop as I consider it a distraction and potential to cover some early warning for tool misfunction, also. No alcoholic drink at the day. Call me super conservative but I think all of them do not have place in a safe working environment, at last for me.

All the best.
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 10-18-2018 at 10:25 PM.

music, TV, woodstove, more dangerous when im out in traffic

Blog Entries
    Roger, I used to know a guy who had to wear a tie in the shop. He used to cut his ties at the back of the neck and then rejoin them with a single thread so they would tear away. Problem solved. I never tried it. I hate ties and dressing up in general. I'm wearing bib overalls now. Ahhhhhh

Not while woodworking. I have a wall clock in my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Originally Posted by Derek Cohen

Johnny, Patrick described it well ...

Here's an example ... what does thirty minutes look like? Thirty minutes has a shape. Does it look like the number "30", or do you visualise a half shaded circle on the clock face?

The 30 is just a data point, and this can make it difficult for some (such as those with ADHD) to plan ahead, or to monitor a period of time. This process becomes second nature to those used to visualising time frames. Analogue time pieces teaches us that time is a journey between points rather than just a moment in one place.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I agree with your view of analog time keeping. I have a digital watch and can look at it and 5 minutes later not know what time it is. With analog I get an image in my mind. Of course I'm old enough to have learned to tell time with an analog clock, so maybe that has some bearing.

My digital is used to time things more than anything else if I don't want to use my phone.

Interestingly I like an analog watch in the gym for strength training. I usually rest 30, 45 or 60 seconds. Super quick to glance at the second hand and know where it will be when it's "go" time again. With a digital I have to do the math. 18 seconds , so that means 48 is 30 seconds elapsed. Analog is less fuss.

As far as wearing a watch. I fee naked without one. I'm not a fan of the indestructible "never lose your watch, but you may lose your hand or arm" straps like the NATO and such. And if I'm around spinny things or things that could easily hook something I'm mindful of the watch and any clothing that may need to be removed for safety.

And don't get me started on "Smart" watches. A watch with a battery that can't make it through more than a day or two without a charge? At least if your mechanical watch runs down, 10 seconds will wind it or a quick shake and wearing it will. That smart watch is out of commission for a good long time to charge if it runs down. Progress? I don't think so. When smart watches with a 1+ month batter life are out, i might be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    They don’t even know what SOHCAHTOA stands for.
    ?
    That's funny to me. I went through calc and never heard that term until my daughter said it once whilst I was helping her.
    Last edited by Warren West; 10-25-2018 at 6:41 PM.

I have an adult grand daughter who will never be able to read a clock dial, because of dyslexia. If you say "a quarter to ten" it means nothing to her, but 9:45 on a digital clock computes. She also could never ride a bike, for the same reason. That, I never will understand, but there it is.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    On the other hand, if you like to keep an eye on your progress, with a view to setting and meeting deadlines in time, use an analogue watch.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Good stuff Derek.

Do you know the science or psychology around calendar views? I prefer a month at a glance so I can see a "picture" of what i have going on. A day view is ok if there is a lot going on and is sometimes a necessity, but for planning even a week view seems too small.
    Last edited by Warren West; 10-26-2018 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I assume it was a precious metal Omega. Even now with Omega pulling their prices up in line with Rolex I can't think of a 15k stainless Omega.

The fact everyone has quit wearing watches just means more for me!

Attachment 394075
    Yikes! How much time do you use deciding which one to wear? Are they set to different times so you can place yourself, temporally, where you want to be? I mean, if your behind schedule, just pick one that is set to yesterday. Problem solved. Pretty impressive collection.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren West View Post
    Good stuff Derek.

Do you know the science or psychology around calendar views? I prefer a month at a glance so I can see a "picture" of what i have going on. A day view is ok if there is a lot going on and is sometimes a necessity, but for planning even a week view seems too small.
    Hi Warren

A month at a glance is what I recommend - this offers a bigger picture and more context. Use time frames, colour and icons rather than write notes. The aim is to create a picture or a pattern. Visual imagery aids in creating long term recall.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I agree with using color and icons but I prefer the good old fashioned three months (previous, current and next) at a time calendar over a single month.

I have a pair of nearly identical RW analog watches. Loved the first one so much I got a backup. Wear them all the time. Been through a few crystals. No ring for decades, in or out of the shop. Wife's not happy about that. Music in the shop only when I am putzing/cleaning. As a musician, music takes away too much focus, and slows me down. I don't want to start a tool until this song is over...
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Yikes! How much time do you use deciding which one to wear? Are they set to different times so you can place yourself, temporally, where you want to be? I mean, if your behind schedule, just pick one that is set to yesterday. Problem solved. Pretty impressive collection.
    I actually spend very little time deciding which to wear, I wear them in the order they are in the boxes except when the circumstances of the particular day dictates wearing a particular watch would not be suitable. I just switch out the watch each day for the next one in the order. The various times shown are simply where the watches wound down to when I took them off, setting the watch is part of my daily ritual and I don't own any watches that require the movement of electrons to work. The collection is a product of over 25 years of buying and selling watches (mainly early manual wind Rolex Daytonas and Patek Chronographs). About 5 years ago I sold my entire collection to take advantage of stupidly inflated prices and bought mainly modern watches that I felt less traumatized to wear daily.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.