Thread: Tooling Gloat

Tooling Gloat

I was picking up some sharpened knives and blades at CT Saw and Tool this morning and looking down at the counter noticed this box. I was shocked that it was something I had been looking for, and definitely never expected to see it on the counter of my supplier. The box had four prices, three of which were crossed out ... $390, $345, $250, $225. I had to hide my excitement because in fact I'd been looking to buy exactly this or its equivelent from other manufacturers just a month ago. I had finished the job for which I needed it ... but knew it would come up again before long. They wanted to get rid of it, I made a low-ball offer and they happily stacked it on my pile. They used a Zoller laser measuring machine to check the actual diameter and all four knives came in within a few thousandths of 160mm. It should match my existing tooling perfectly. I'm thrilled.

IMG_4463.jpg
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 09-27-2018 at 3:33 PM.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I’ll bite... enlighten us as to what that nice piece of metal with cutters is?

It’s a 160mm 8-15mm adjustable shaper groover. So grooves 8-15mm and tenons for up to about a one inch door 30mm deep. I can also stack it with my Garniga 160mm cutters for thicker doors.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

That is a great get! That is one of those great multi-use cutters.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    Nice. The 3pc 4mm to 15.5mm grover has been on my list of next tooling to buy for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Nice. The 3pc 4mm to 15.5mm grover has been on my list of next tooling to buy for awhile.
    I'd love one too...often the way it goes, the smallest are more expensive.

B

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    I was picking up some sharpened knives and blades at CT Saw and Tool this morning and looking down at the counter noticed this box. I was shocked that it was something I had been looking for, and definitely never expected to see it on the counter of my supplier. The box had four prices, three of which were crossed out ... $390, $345, $250, $225. I had to hide my excitement because in fact I'd been looking to buy exactly this or its equivelent from other manufacturers just a month ago. I had finished the job for which I needed it ... but knew it would come up again before long. They wanted to get rid of it, I made a low-ball offer and they happily stacked it on my pile. They used a Zoller laser measuring machine to check the actual diameter and all four knives came in within a few thousandths of 160mm. It should match my existing tooling perfectly. I'm thrilled.

IMG_4463.jpg
    Nice find!

Couldn't resist a quick test. Tenons can be shimmed to anything the groove (and mortise chisel) can cut. Shoulders can be equal up to about 15mm. Depth is limited to about 30mm which is fine for the 1" interior doors I typically build. There are also intermediate stackable cutters to increase the groove width. I did not get one of those.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 09-27-2018 at 5:04 PM. Reason: Added the intermediate stackable.