Folks -

I will be putting a floor in a small room in our house, a three-season/sunroom, about 200 square feet. It has been decided that we are going to use bamboo, in what they call the "stranded" form, probably 1/2 inch thick. (I can't use regular 3/4 inch thick because there isn't enough clearance under the doors).

The "subfloor" , which is the only floor at all in there now, is strip flooring - looks like fir to me, not any hardwood that I can recognize - laid straight onto the joists. It's in pretty bad shape, and not terribly flat, as well as being a bit uneven at the edges of some of the strips.

I've installed several floors in our house over the years, have a nailer (PC model) and am used to the process of nailing down tongue and groove wood floors. But there are a number of nice looking click-lock/floating options amongst the bamboo samples that we like, and I'm wondering about folks experience with these sorts of floors. Part of me feels that nailing down a floor just feels like the right way, but I wonder if the floating floor will cover the irregularities more easily, plus I'm a bit worried that the expansions of the wood soon-to-be subfloor and the strand bamboo will be different enough to be a problem if nailed. I am planning on laying the bamboo parallel to the current wood floor strips, but still.

Anyone have experience with these click-lock floating floors? Care to share? Much appreciated -

Ken
North Granby, CT