Thread: Suggestions for laptop for son as a college freshman?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    That was my point. A business class machine or high end consumer machine like the HP series I mentioned or the Macs, whichever runs the applications he needs. My employer several years ago tried buying high powered lower grade consumer machines with the idea of spending less and replacing more often. We had all kinds of trouble and it wasn't worth it. Mine developed numerous stress cracks in the case from toting around the country, the hinge died, the battery didn't hold up to constant use and charge cycles, the keyboard didn't hold up, and on and on. It barely made it out of warranty even with Dell replacing most of the parts over time. We now get workstation-class laptops. Somehow we manage to run Windows, just like most of the business world and I'm on only my 3rd laptop in 11 years, including the first that only lasted about 2 years. The second due to a wave of hiring and higher priority replacements, mine got pushed out 5 years and while it was getting pretty long in the tooth but didn't keep me from doing my computing-intensive job. Its simply untrue that you can't get 4 years out of a good quality Windows-based device if that's what he needs for the program he's in.

Also remember that all Macs can run Windows in multiple ways (natively, or virtualized). They can all virtualize Windows applications, while maintaining the security and reliability of the underlying Unix operating system. PC Mag used to call the MacBook "the most reliable Windows laptop," not sure if they still do. They do a better job at Windows drivers than most other companies.