Thread: Veneer rolls - Come in 24" x 15'?

Veneer rolls - Come in 24" x 15'?

Hey everyone,
    I don't know much about veneering and my only experience is with edgebanding. I'm in a spot where I would like to get some maple veneer but would need it to be 24" wide and about 15' long. Do they ever come in rolls or sheets this big? Or am I out of luck?

If they do, where would be the place that I'd source something like this?

Thanks for any help offered.

the length of the piece @ 15' is the limiting factor. most paper backed veneers are at 8' might find some at 10'

http://www.tapeease.com/ has lots of species and sizes. I see 12' listed as a standard option. 15' might be a special. Call them to find out.

You also should be thinking about how you're going to apply a sheet of veneer that's 15' long. I don't think you'll find a vacuum bag that long, so you'll need to make one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    http://www.tapeease.com/ has lots of species and sizes. I see 12' listed as a standard option. 15' might be a special. Call them to find out.
    Thanks Jamie, I emailed them to see if they have 15' rolls as a special order. I was planning on using contact cement to apply the veneer to MDF substrate.

That being said, I was unable to find 12' rolls in their products. Can you point me to where you saw that? Appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Przybylski View Post
    Thanks Jamie, I emailed them to see if they have 15' rolls as a special order. I was planning on using contact cement to apply the veneer to MDF substrate.

That being said, I was unable to find 12' rolls in their products. Can you point me to where you saw that? Appreciate it!
    http://www.tapeease.com/wood.htm , in the spec for 10 mil paper-backed veneer.

If I needed a fifteen foot maple span, I'd be thinking about using standard hardwood veneer plywood -- y'know, 4'x8' -- and carefully end joining two pieces to get the fifteen foot length. If I were being really picky, I'd buy two sheets so I could adjust where I cut to get the grain patterns to match up well at the join. Two sequential sheets from the stack often have very similar patterns, so you get something that looks like a book match. And if your joining skill result out to be not as good as you'd like, you can put a thin piece of maple over the seam to cover it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    If I needed a fifteen foot maple span, I'd be thinking about using standard hardwood veneer plywood -- y'know, 4'x8' -- and carefully end joining two pieces to get the fifteen foot length. If I were being really picky, I'd buy two sheets so I could adjust where I cut to get the grain patterns to match up well at the join. Two sequential sheets from the stack often have very similar patterns, so you get something that looks like a book match. And if your joining skill result out to be not as good as you'd like, you can put a thin piece of maple over the seam to cover it.
    That's actually what I was going to originally do and the way I'm leaning, just wanted to see if I could find veneer this long to not have a seam.