Thread: New Reed Gray inside bowl tool rests

New Reed Gray inside bowl tool rests

Looks like Reed Gray is going to come out with some nice inside bowl rests but no indication when he will move to full production or pricing that I could find.

https://youtu.be/4NVMXu4lKt8
    RD

Let us know Reed! I'll pick one up. Or 2.

When? Love the idea!

I've been waiting for nearly a year. That's when we got to see the prototype at the Oregon Symposium (March 2017)
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

5. Those are some nice looking rests! Reed, I'm just curious here.....they look "similar" to others that are familiar to us on this forum. I'm wondering if there is any patent difficulties? You very well may have covered all your bases in this regard, but the thought crossed my mind. They do look nice, especially the curve that allows it to be turned inside the bowl. That may be enough to differentiate from others already on the market, perhaps?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger,
    In order for something to be patented it needs to be useful, novel AND non-obvious. Also there is another requirement that it had not been previous been released into the public domain by anyone. So, while it may be possible that someone had/has a patent on curved tool rest. if it was granted over 20 years ago, the patent protection has expired. If someone still has the paperwork that came with a similar competitor's tool rest it would be interesting for them to check if it lists whether it is patented and share that info. I think that curved tool rests have been around for a while and Reed's tool rest (while it looks very good and is certainly useful) wouldn't pass the non-obvious category. Or alternatively, if a competitor has patent protection, it might be a costly and difficult thing to litigate successfully. But that is just my personal opinion.

BTW, I have submitted for patents and have also been granted a few. That is why I am familiar with patent criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    ...If someone still has the paperwork that came with a similar competitor's tool rest it would be interesting for them to check if it lists whether it is patented and share that info. I think that curved tool rests have been around for a while and Reed's tool rest (while it looks very good and is certainly useful) wouldn't pass the non-obvious category. ...

BTW, I have submitted for patents and have also been granted a few. That is why I am familiar with patent criteria.
    I can't find where the similar tool rests have patent claims, only a feature on a lathe is stated as patented.

The process to patent an idea (and defend it) sure can be a painful and lengthy (and expensive) ordeal, one the average Joe will probably never complete. Several patents with my name were rejected more than once then resubmitted with changes before granted. Fortunately, our organization had a legal team with the funds to do all the leg work.

Small point but I like that he's thinking of keeping costs down by skipping the powder coating. There's lots of my tools that are uncoated except for a little camellia oil.
    RD

Being a manufacturing engineer type person, I have always wondered about the hardened rod on this type tool rest. Is the rod hardened before or after it's welded to the rest edge?? Welding hardedend steel can make soft spots and hardening after would not be easy.

Just wondering.

Will the Woodcraft in Eugene have them? It looks like winner.

Wow, talk about timing. I just saw Reed's video on the 5th. Here he posts that they are in his store and I just placed an order.
    RD

Received the rest today. Fast processing.
    Looks very well made. I didn't fully appreciate how substantial the 5/16" hardened rod is till I laid eyes on it.
    Unfortunately my shop is torn up with wall repairs so a few days before I can try it out.

Thanks Reed!
    RD