Thread: Cleaning carbide insert screws

Cleaning carbide insert screws

As part of the refurb of a Powermatic PJ-882HH jointer I'm replacing all of the knife inserts today. I'd like to clean the screws to get rid of the old sawdust etc. and was thinking of soaking them in mineral spirits. Any suggestions for better results?

I'd use a blade and bit cleaning solution.

I'll have to get some for the shop in the future. I didn't know there was such a product.
    What about Simple Green?

This is what I use: https://www.amazon.com/CMT-Formula-B...=blade+cleaner

It's got some kind of citrus in it. Works well and quickly, although kinda pricey.

You could try Simple Green or minersl spirits. I doubt either would hurt the inserts, just not sure how effective they'd be on pitch.

I haven't tried the CMT formula yet, but I bought a gallon for under $30 a while back.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its listed at $40 right now, but $30 for "1 to 4 weeks shipping". Keep an eye on it and you'll probably see it back at $30 for immediate shipping eventually.

I have used Blade and Bit by Boeshield and like it. Infinity sells a gallon for something like $60 or $70. Rockler also has quarts of their own brand that you can use straight or dilute. I've had good luck with it on saw blades diluted. I forget the price, but it's not bad and sometimes on sale, which is the only time to buy anything from Rockler.

Thanks! I ordered the CMT formula for delivery in a couple weeks. Will try it on blades then.
    Soaking in Simple Green Pro right now. The solution is looking really dirty so hopefully thats a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Bull View Post
    ... What about Simple Green?
    I can't imagine Simple Green would hurt the screws. I saved a note, (but not a link, sorry,) that Simple Green could cause corrosion in the carbide attachment interface and shouldn't be used to clean e.g. carbide saw blades. Simple Green HD is the commercial product name for a formula they developed with Boeing that does not have that risk. It was available & only $14/gal of concentrate at Home Depot a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    I can't imagine Simple Green would hurt the screws. I saved a note, (but not a link, sorry,) that Simple Green could cause corrosion in the carbide attachment interface and shouldn't be used to clean e.g. carbide saw blades. Simple Green HD is the commercial product name for a formula they developed with Boeing that does not have that risk. It was available & only $14/gal of concentrate at Home Depot a couple years ago.
    Thanks David. That is good to know. I had 2 jugs, Simple Green Pro3 and Simple Green Pro5, I chose Pro5 for the old cutters and screws. I'll be sure to thoroughly rinse everything. I'm cleaning the old cutters too because I plan to sharpen them when I have some spare time. They can be spares.

The thing I like about the CMT stuff is that I've never had to dunk things in it, so a little goes a long way. I just lay the blade or bit in a shallow pan or on an old towel. Spray it liberally, let it sit for a few minutes and wipe it off.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    I think I remember that thread, maybe related to bandsaw blades? Anyway, one of the Simple Green variants was not recommendes, by the company, for carbide. Given my disability to precisely remember things, I just remembered to avoid the stuff entirely.

Wire wheel on a buffer. How I clean every bit of hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Wire wheel on a buffer. How I clean every bit of hardware.
    You really don't have a clue what he's trying to clean do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Derryberry View Post
    You really don't have a clue what he's trying to clean do you?
    Yeah, the screws that hold the inserts on. Put on some gloves, kiss the torx heads on the wire wheel and you are done.

Be done 10x quicker than soaking them and then using a brass bristle brush to clean them.

ultrasonic cleaner in a baggy with cleaner of choice. the main cleaner tank just use water. You will need a dental pick to clean the torx socket after. Too much cleaner time may damage the threads if allowed to rub together.
    Or just buy new insert screws made in USA or Europe not China.

Well I can confirm that the Simple Green Pro5 did not get everything clean. Had to scrub with a toothbrush.
    One screw sheared off and of course it is too low to grab it. Right in the middle of the cutterhead. Will have to deal with that tomorrow. I ran a test board anyway and you can not tell it is missing a knife. It was perfect.
    The real solution to my question was in Bill's post. Use new screws (made in USA). That is money well spent to avoid cleaning hassles and the possibility of a failure.