Thread: Plane score of the year

Plane score of the year

Recently came across this plane on fleabay and was fortunate enough to win the auction. It's a complete type 11 Siegley patternmaker's plane. The other 5 soles & irons are inside the box. The box & label are original and about as rare as can be, and the plane is immaculate. Thought some of you guys might appreciate pics

IMG_1394.jpg IMG_1393.jpgIMG_1392.jpg
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Oh, way cool! I've seen pics of simpler versions, and lusted after them. You scored a major find!

Wow! Do you mind if I ask what the winning bid was?

Also, is that a standard Siegley 6 with additional irons/soles, or is the base casting different?

Five Hundred Twenty One Dollars

Joe got it, winning bid was 521.00, and worth every penny. Probably a considerable amount of pennies more to the right person.

The base casting is slightly different. Aside from the keyhole cutouts where the screws from the detachable soles engage the casting, the mouth opening is much wider to accommodate the iron having to protrude so far below the casting to project from the radius sole, and it is more of a notch than a mouth slit. The notch is about 5/16" wide and continues through the sides of the casting almost like a rabbet plane would, you can see it in the photos. I can take some more pics later this afternoon if there's anything else that you'd like to see.

Nice find Brian! Never saw one before. What will you use it to build?
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Fred, it’s a pretty rare animal and I don’t believe that I will ever use it. I have a pile of cheap old moulding planes for when I need to make hollow profiles.
    I have a barrister’s bookcase that contains a small collection of old woodworking tools that are too valuable or rare to put back to work. This one will reside therein

Blog Entries
    Interesting find.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Very cool ! Never saw one before. I'd like to see what's in the box if possible. Thanks.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Brian,

A very nice find indeed. You are in the perfect spot to find one, since they operated out of Wilkes Barre. Excellent!

Blog Entries
    I'm not familiar with Siegley.

How do my Bedrock planes compare with the Siegley? I assume because the rarity, they have a greater value.
    I have 604, 605, and a 607 Bedrocks with Veritas irons and breakers. I am pleased with their performance.

Apples and Oranges Lowell. The plane Brian bought has various radiuses of curved soles to make patterns with. They (and core box planes), were very common when pattern makers made wooden patterns for the sand casting industry. It was a specialized tool, not a bench plane (although it looks like one from a distance).

Siegley was like a mini-Stanley. They made most of the planes that Stanley did, even a combination plane. The big difference being they were in Wilkes Barre, PA, not New Britain, CT.

PS. A snap of the description from Roger Smith's book. I didn't realize that there is conjecture if Siegley made this plane himself, or whether someone else modified his plane.

siegley.jpg
    Last edited by Pete Taran; 01-17-2018 at 3:02 PM.

Pete, being a Wilkes-Barre native I have an affinity for Siegley and Hahn planes, and I try to grab them whenever I can. Pic is an advertisement for Siegley's Patternmaker's plane in the Hammacher Schlemmer Co catalog form 1896. From John F Rumpf's book Planemakers of Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania

IMG_1395.jpg

Very cool indeed. Interesting that the bases are made of Beech and come with irons.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Good for you Brian!!! Great find!! And from Wilkes Barre no less....Interesting...
    Jerry