Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boss Laser Rotary Options?

Boss Laser Rotary Options?

My first post hopefully in the right section. I recently purchased a boss 2436 and I'm unsatisfied with the boss roller rotary. I'm trying to accomplish engraving on several styles of wine glasses and the rotary is really only sufficient with uniform and straight glass. I was wondering if anyone has swapped out the rotary from the stock version for another style (if possible) and has had good luck.

MHM

Welcome to the forum. The more information you can provide, the better responses you will receive. People use a lot of different machines and equipment here, so pictures really help. The most common rotary attachments are the hot dog roller type (long metal rollers), the four wheel type and the chuck type. From your wording, my initial guess was that you had the first type but then I don't remember seeing that type on the Boss website. Last time I looked, they only offered the four wheel and chuck types, therefore a picture would help clarify.

Post pictures of the wine glasses you are trying to etch and examples of the problems. Wine glasses can be tough since they are often curved in more than one direction. I am not sure that there is a commonly available rotary that will overcome your issues but lots of people here have worked on wine glasses and if they see your specific issues they might be able to offer advice regarding how they overcame the same problems.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Thanks Doug. I have the four wheel type that's offered on the boss website. The problem I'm running into is the glass becomes unbalanced and falls or shifts on the roller during engraving. Also with beer mugs the handles hit the stepping motor. I was hoping there is a option that is similar to the Trotec style that locks the material in with a tailstock spindle.

Have you tried putting weight inside the wine glass? Sand in a small ziplock bag? Have you gone into the settings and turned the rotational speed down so that the rollers don't try to spin so fast?

Boss makes a chuck type, too. I am guessing you have seen that but here is the link in case:

https://www.bosslaser.com/rotary-att...ent-chuck.html

With chuck types, you can make your own "caps" to grip various glasses. Others have had holding cones 3D printed. You will still have to overcome the issue with etching on all of the curves though. Maybe a chuck would work better for you but people who have the four wheel do like them so maybe you just need to tweak your workflow for your current rotary a bit more?

Since the Boss is a rebranded Chinese laser machine, I bet you could use one of the similar chuck type rotary attachments that can be found online for a lot less. You just have to make sure the wiring matches and that it uses the same type of phase motor. Bill George or others here who know electricity well can advise you on that.
    Last edited by Doug Fisher; 01-16-2018 at 10:23 PM.
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller

User tab > Rotating Section > Test... to change the speed at which the rotary spins up.
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller

I've slowed down the rotational speed to its lowest limit but balance is still a problem. I'll give the sandbag tip a go and hope it works for my current projects.

It seems that a chuck type does have it advantages. Does anyone have a source for a rotary chuck that fits with a boss laser?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew H. Morris View Post
    I've slowed down the rotational speed to its lowest limit but balance is still a problem. I'll give the sandbag tip a go and hope it works for my current projects.

It seems that a chuck type does have it advantages. Does anyone have a source for a rotary chuck that fits with a boss laser?
    Since you purchased from Boss, why not see if you can swap yours out for the Chuck type?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I may be one of the few but my experience with Boss hasn't been great thus far so I'm trying to steer clear of purchasing directly or obtaining more equipment from them at the moment. Tech support has been great but it doesn't resolve the QA/QC and the work I had to do to get a brand new machine running. Hoping to get it resolved though.

I'm fairly new to this so is there anywhere other than alibaba to source laser attachments such as a chuck type rotary? If so are there any recommendations for preferred vendors?

Blog Entries
    I may be one of the few but my experience with Boss hasn't been great thus far so I'm trying to steer clear of purchasing directly or obtaining more equipment from them at the moment. Tech support has been great but it doesn't resolve the QA/QC and the work I had to do to get a brand new machine running. Hoping to get it resolved though.

I'm fairly new to this so is there anywhere other than alibaba to source laser attachments such as a chuck type rotary? If so are there any recommendations for preferred vendors?

Be careful if you buy from places like eBay. I've a 4 wheel and it has a 3 phase stepper motor in it, (not Boss, but same type of rotary) and ALL of the Chinese rotaries default to 2 phase motors. Way cheaper, and usually has 4 wire connection. 3 Phase has 3 wire connection. You need to make sure you check that before purchasing from anyone but Boss.
    Now I use a round piece of steel (yes, with glass I have to be careful) and for my Yeti cups, I have a round glued up piece of wood that fits tight in the cups for weight. You do need to have something to weigh it down. If it won't fit tight in the glass and not move smoothly, it needs to roll to stay at lowest level. I think that a chuck type might work better, but I use what I have.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

You should be able to look at the wiring for the connector for the rotary you already have to determine if it is a three wire or four wire. You should also find descriptive information printed on the stepper motor on your current rotary and be able to look up that motor online to find its specifications which would be another way to confirm phase type. From there, you should have the information to be able to start shopping.

You can get chuck rotaries on ebay that work fine but, as John said, you have to shop carefully. Make sure it comes with a connector and not bare wires. Look at the size/design to make sure it will accommodate your needs. FYI, most of us use ebay chuck rotaries on their side to provide more clearance!
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller

I've done a couple thousand cups with my setup. If you do decide to get a chuck style, i can 3d print you some cones.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hale View Post
    I've done a couple thousand cups with my setup. If you do decide to get a chuck style, i can 3d print you some cones.
    Any chance you could share your cone design files? My local makerspace has a chuck style rotary and we could 3d print them.
    Thanks in advance

I haven't had a big rotary related job in awhile, but these seem to be a good addition to the original Boss rotaries and I have been meaning to order one myself:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5945222..._home_active_7

I believe the Epilog/Trotec rotaries come with something similar already attached.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Thanks Doug. I have the four wheel type that's offered on the boss website. The problem I'm running into is the glass becomes unbalanced and falls or shifts on the roller during engraving. Also with beer mugs the handles hit the stepping motor. I was hoping there is a option that is similar to the Trotec style that locks the material in with a tailstock spindle.
    Also, if the glass has a very small base that slips, the solution may be to use tape or something else to slightly enlarge the surface that sits on the rollers. We've had some challenging ones, but nothing I haven't always been able to "MacGyver" myself through.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Downing View Post
    I haven't had a big rotary related job in awhile, but these seem to be a good addition to the original Boss rotaries and I have been meaning to order one myself:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5945222..._home_active_7

I believe the Epilog/Trotec rotaries come with something similar already attached.
    Yep, that's my design. I'd be glad to answer any questions or provide any input that may be helpful. Not just that clamp, but I have 3 different mods that are designed to work perfectly together to make the cheap rotary attachments as reliable as my Epilog. Here's a video that just released featuring it on ManCraftingTM YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-rBTcofoX0&t=82s

Boss Ultimate Photos.jpg