Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We Cut the Cord Today

We Cut the Cord Today

I went to the Cable TV office and dropped off the Card that was in the Tivo unit. The representative said about 10 to 20 people a day cancel. Cable TV just didn't stay competitive with streaming services and antenna TV. We have RVEAL (buy the box and no monthly fee) and can watch just about any movie we want. I think RVEAL also allows us to watch live TV and shows the wife likes. I won't miss the sneaky little price hikes Cable charges such as the one that is going into effect in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I went to the Cable TV office and dropped off the Card that was in the Tivo unit. The representative said about 10 to 20 people a day cancel. Cable TV just didn't stay competitive with streaming services and antenna TV. We have RVEAL (buy the box and no monthly fee) and can watch just about any movie we want. I think RVEAL also allows us to watch live TV and shows the wife likes. I won't miss the sneaky little price hikes Cable charges such as the one that is going into effect in a week.
    So many options available today and this is first I have heard of RVEAL. How is this different from ROKU, Firestick, blah, blah, blah??

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    So many options available today and this is first I have heard of RVEAL. How is this different from ROKU, Firestick, blah, blah, blah??
    I can't speak intelligently about the differences because all I have is RVEAL. We purchased RVEAL at the farm and it operates on KODI if that is the proper spelling. We can watch live TV at the farm as well as TV shows and lots of movies. RVEAL also allows you to search the Internet if memory serves correctly. I really like the lack of a monthly bill and everything is legal and legitimate. I know some people sell Firesticks that access paid programming for free, but that just doesn't seem the way we want to go.

The one thing to be careful with anything based on the KODI platform is that that system is rife with copyright infringement issues and there is currently a lot of scrutiny because of that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The one thing to be careful with anything based on the KODI platform is that that system is rife with copyright infringement issues and there is currently a lot of scrutiny because of that.
    I read up on that and found this..."Kodi users who are tweaking the Kodi software to run Kodi Add-ons which provide copyrighted movies using peer-to-peer (P2P) or bittorrent are 100% at risk of getting sued for copyright infringement."

We don't have any of the add-on features using our RVEAL to violate copyright. It appears these add-ons are similar to what people have been doing with Firestick in order to access unauthorized videos.

I only mentioned it because the scrutiny is pointed at the device manufacturers and it could affect support if some firm loses a legal battle. For now...enjoy!
    --

Hi Rich, living in an urban area, I dropped cable years ago when broadcasters went with digital transmission. I installed an antenna and we use that.

We have approximately 20 channels, including TVO and CBC (national and provincial broadcasters) as well as 3 PBS channels from Buffalo, and of course a bunch of local stations.

The video quality is great of course, no bills, (except for an annual donation to TVO and PBS).

We also last year cut the telephone service as I carry a cell for work, Diann has a cell and the kids don't phone, they text.

All told we dropped $2K a year in communication costs, and last year I went from DSL to Fiber for internet and cut $400 a year from the internet bill............Rod.

I can't speak intelligently about the differences because all I have is RVEAL. We purchased RVEAL at the farm and it operates on KODI if that is the proper spelling. We can watch live TV at the farm as well as TV shows and lots of movies. RVEAL also allows you to search the Internet if memory serves correctly. I really like the lack of a monthly bill and everything is legal and legitimate. I know some people sell Firesticks that access paid programming for free, but that just doesn't seem the way we want to go.
    I've got the Amazon service and for a time we also had Netflix. I've found that while there are a ton of movies in the listing, there are very few that I care to watch. I spend a lot of time clicking from screen to screen and don't find much I haven't seen already or care to watch. For example, lots of foreign films it seems. I'd be curious if there is a better selection on RVEAL.

the cable company has us, because they are the cheapest provider of high speed internet. The TV is only an extra $25.00 er month.

I have an antenna TV in the kitchen, hooked to am amplified antenna. One by one three of the local stations stopped broadcasting in anyway that I can receive them. One's tower is only 6 miles away (west) and their two channels completely disappeared from the air about two months ago. I sent emails to them, but all I got was a cryptic message that their broadcasting platform had changed. The next closest station, only 12 miles away also disappeared from the airways. Even on cable five of the channels from those two stations have completely disappeared. So now all I get are the two channels from a station 15 miles east of us. I tried resetting and reprogramming the tv, I complained to the FCC and still haven't gotten any explanation.

I recently read an article about a guy in the next county over that put up a 50 ft tower with an antenna. He was getting nearly 40 channels (Phila, Baltimore, Central pa AND EVEN dc) over the airwaves and suddenly he said 12 of them disappeared.

i recently read that the FCC permitted some broadcasters to sell their frequencies to cell providers, but they were to continue broadcasting on alternate frequencies, arranged with other broadcasters. Well that screwed us all to heck.
    Last edited by Perry Hilbert Jr; 01-17-2018 at 8:43 AM.

We dropped our cable TV on New Years eve. We are currently receiving 23 channels over the air plus some programming via the Internet. For us it wasn't so much the cost of the service, the quality was degrading and it seemed foolish to pay for commercials that consume 20 minutes of each hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I've got the Amazon service and for a time we also had Netflix. I've found that while there are a ton of movies in the listing, there are very few that I care to watch. I spend a lot of time clicking from screen to screen and don't find much I haven't seen already or care to watch. For example, lots of foreign films it seems. I'd be curious if there is a better selection on RVEAL.
    Pat, I can't speak to what you want to watch, but I had a similar experience with Amazon and Netflix. I like westerns, crime, action, etc. and there are lots of those on RVEAL. I can watch John Wayne, Sean Connery, Clint Eastwood, etc. Dozens of their moves are on there. It's a pity John Wayne hasn't made new movies in quite some time.

By the way, RVEAL has a similar return police as Festool. You can return their units any time in the first 30 days for any or no reason and receive a full refund if you don't like the merchandise.
    Last edited by Rich Riddle; 01-17-2018 at 11:24 AM.

Pat, It's a pity John Wayne hasn't made new movies in quite some time.
    It is
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Rich, I see it gets Encore I like westerns does it get Encore western channel? What about INSP?

Thanks for this reminder. Cut off the TV part of my Fios package yesterday and purchased a G1100 router. Should cut the bill from $120 to $58 / month for 75/75.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Thanks for this reminder. Cut off the TV part of my Fios package yesterday and purchased a G1100 router. Should cut the bill from $120 to $58 / month for 75/75.
    Peter, if you find that you still want local channels, you can get that for about $13 a month and it doesn't require STBs with modern TVs. That's how I halved my FiOS bill a few months ago. OTA didn't work for us because "the one" station I watch in the morning for news (WPVI ABC) is on a VHF channel that just will not pull in from an antenna on our roof no matter how fancy I tried. Owning your gateway is a good way to save money, too...'glad you made that move. I've been on FiOS so long that I have the older Actiontek Rev I as my gateway and "back in the day" there was no cost for it at all. (wireless is provided by a mesh system, not the VZ router)
    --