Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laguna 1836 Revo modified spindle lock

Laguna 1836 Revo modified spindle lock

In my Hands On Review of the Laguna Revo 1836 I noted "There is no way to lock that button so that one can use both hands to perform a task. It would be nice to have a plunge pin that would hold the button in and the spindle locked." I commented that I might end up drilling a hole and inserting a pin to hold the spindle lock engaged. In fact, I did do that shortly after writing the review, but I failed to post a follow up.

With some new interest in the Laguna I thought I would share my fix for this minor issue. It is quick and simple. I used a straight edge across the front of the headstock and measured the depth of the spindle lock button when engaged. I then marked and center punched on the front surface of the headstock the location for a pin. The hole was drilled with a 9/64" bit (as I recall - probably should check that.) I then cut off a 10D finish nail to use as a pin.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Left click my name for homepage link.

Good idea John, knowing me with my arthritis I would drop that pin in the sawdust. Thanks for showing.

Clever thing to do John...I just can't bring myself to drill a hole in my new lathe!!

Barry, it only hurts for a second! And, it sure comes in handy having the lock pin when you need both hands to do something.

5. Pretty cool and useful mod, there John. Ingenuity on display!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Good idea John. I've been thinking of an alternate way, just have had the real need/time. My PM 90 was the say way and got use to it. I might try my alternate and post that.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Very clever, John!

To George's point, a short piece of carpet thread or fishing line tied to the pin and epoxied to a button magnet stuck on the headstock would prevent dropping the pin.

David, I have a magnetic tool holder strip mounted within arms reach to the left of my lathe on which I keep my chuck key, often used allen wrenches, knock out bar and other small items, including the nail/pin, but your idea is a good one!

Fabulous piece of engineering, John! Bet you see one on the next "update" of these lathes. You better patent it quick. Of course, the nail might really add to the cost of the machines.... I can see the day when you are doing some trim work and think, "Damn.... I just need one more ten penny finishing nail...."
    David DeCristoforo

David, maybe we can save some money using the same attorney you are using on your highly developed bed extension!!

Here is an alternate idea on the spindle lock as John motivated me to try the idea I had. I had Several rare earth magnets (but could only find one) given to me years ago by a friend. Initially I wanted to use two, but one works, having enough force to keep the button engaged. Do it just a magnet (1/4" X 3/8" 1-1/4") and a cut off angle bracket. I'll put a piece of tape to keep from marring the button

IMG_1137.JPGIMG_1138.JPGIMG_1139.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by William C Rogers; 01-16-2018 at 9:10 AM.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Excellent alternative, Bill!

Ingenious and simple solutions!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    In my Hands On Review of the Laguna Revo 1836 I noted "There is no way to lock that button so that one can use both hands to perform a task. It would be nice to have a plunge pin that would hold the button in and the spindle locked." I commented that I might end up drilling a hole and inserting a pin to hold the spindle lock engaged. In fact, I did do that shortly after writing the review, but I failed to post a follow up.

With some new interest in the Laguna I thought I would share my fix for this minor issue. It is quick and simple. I used a straight edge across the front of the headstock and measured the depth of the spindle lock button when engaged. I then marked and center punched on the front surface of the headstock the location for a pin. The hole was drilled with a 9/64" bit (as I recall - probably should check that.) I then cut off a 10D finish nail to use as a pin.
    WOW!

Just plain WOW!

I can see that you spared no expense in this modification. I assume you had to make special trip to a specialty hardware store for the button retention device. 😊😆😁

Getting a bit more serious, I admire simple fixes with material on hand. Kudos.

I am amazed that that works. Spring action must be pretty soft. Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    Here is an alternate idea on the spindle lock as John motivated me to try the idea I had. I had Several rare earth magnets (but could only find one) given to me years ago by a friend. Initially I wanted to use two, but one works, having enough force to keep the button engaged. Do it just a magnet (1/4" X 3/8" 1-1/4") and a cut off angle bracket. I'll put a piece of tape to keep from marring the button

IMG_1137.JPGIMG_1138.JPGIMG_1139.JPG