Thread: Stuck rub collar on shaper spindle

Stuck rub collar on shaper spindle

So at the shop I’m at we have a Unique Shape and Sand that is used for raised panels. The Unique is probably the best shaper in the shop, I can’t feel any chatter at all after a panel has been cut before it is sanded. I believe the Unique came with a rub collar for shaping raised panels, but it doesn’t look like it’s supposed to be attached to the spindle as there are two spacers below the rub collar. The rub collar itself is completely shot, it didn’t turn at all until I tried prying it off yesterday. Now it sort of clicks when you hand turn it. The shaper spindle is 1 1/4” and is at a fixed height, so I can’t put a piece of wood under the collar and lower the spindle. I tried looking inside the machine to see how to take off the spindle to get a better grip on it, but have no idea where to start. I’d like to be able to take off the rub collar so I can use different cutter heads on it. Any help is appreciated!

Side Note: I noticed the Ribbed drive belt likes to travel down so it’s about half off the pulley but doesn’t move after that. Is there a way to calibrate it so it stays fully on the pulley?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaren Johnson View Post
    [FONT="][FONT="]So at the shop I’m at we have a Unique Shape and Sand that is used for raised panels. The Unique is probably the best shaper in the shop, I can’t feel any chatter at all after a panel has been cut before it is sanded. I believe the Unique came with a rub collar for shaping raised panels, but it doesn’t look like it’s supposed to be attached to the spindle as there are two spacers below the rub collar. The rub collar itself is completely shot, it didn’t turn at all until I tried prying it off yesterday. Now it sort of clicks when you hand turn it. The shaper spindle is 1 1/4” and is at a fixed height, so I can’t put a piece of wood under the collar and lower the spindle. I tried looking inside the machine to see how to take off the spindle to get a better grip on it, but have no idea where to start. I’d like to be able to take off the rub collar so I can use different cutter heads on it. Any help is appreciated![/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT="][FONT="][/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT="][FONT="]Side Note: I noticed the Ribbed drive belt likes to travel down so it’s about half off the pulley but doesn’t move after that. Is there a way to calibrate it so it stays fully on the pulley? [/FONT][/FONT]

It may be that someone installed your rub collar incorrectly if it is a bearing type rub collar. My experience with bearing rub collars is that you need a spacer above and below the bearing so the pressure from the cutter and retaining nut is applied to the inner race only. If the pressure is applied to the outer race, the collar won't turn. If you are getting clicking now, most likely you will need a new bearing.

Belts migrating are usually caused by misalignment of the shafts or the pulleys. If the motor shaft is tilted relative to the arbor shaft the belt is going to try to move.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

We do use a spacer above and below the bearing rub collar. According to my dad, who also works at the same place as me, when they first got the Unique they forgot to tighten the nut, so the rub collar has been stuck there ever since about 15 years ago.

Sometimes with finicky cutters if you can raise the spindle enough to get something below the finicky item then lower the spindle to drive the cutter/collar off. I'm not familiar with the shape and sand but have used this method many times.

Death wheel in a angle grinder to remove what you can. Then a die grinder to get the rest.

Don't hit the spindle....

Unless you can get a puller on it, which I doubt.

Can you get some wood under the collar and use a crowbar or wonderbar to slide it up? maybe a bearing splitter to give the pry bar something to pry against. Or use the bearing splitter with the forcing bar like it is supposed to be used. Using pry bar risks bending the spindle.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Jaren Johnson View Post
    We do use a spacer above and below the bearing rub collar. According to my dad, who also works at the same place as me, when they first got the Unique they forgot to tighten the nut, so the rub collar has been stuck there ever since about 15 years ago.
    Hoo boy......so it's likely bearing may have welded to the spindle. Try Mark Bolton's method first and if that fails, Martin Wasner's idea. The possiblity of adding some heat to the inner race could help significantly, too!

I have not been in this position yet.. However I do play with metal quite a bit. you have an 1 1/4 spindle with a much smaller bearing stuck on it, give it some heat, the spindle will take a lot longer to get hot than the bearing. I would try this first . Good luck,Mike. p.s. Let us know how this turns out .