Thread: Metal Trash Can

Metal Trash Can

Good Afternoon All,

Would a metal trash can (that would be used for curb side trash pickup) offer any protection from a fire in the can spreading to the rest of the room? I know these cans are not fire proof but curious if it would slow down a fire long enough for the smoke detector down the hall from my basement shop to give an early warning. I follow typical shop fire safety precautions and dispose of rags by laying flat to dry or washing out but would like to be prepared just in case.
    Would a metal can create any hazards like directing the flames to the ceiling or creating toxic smoke that a would make a plastic can preferable?

Thanks
    Ryan

Yes! The metal can I use might have saved my shop when I stupidly dumped some fireplace ashes that I thought were cold. It smoldered and made lot of smoke. Thankfully I saw the smoke before it burst into flames. You can see the damage on the inside of the can. I have often thought what a disaster it would have been if it had been plastic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The metal oily rag cans are just a simple metal can with a metal lid. maybe a little thicker. The lid being on is what smothers the fire. Look at a public trash can with small hole in the lid concave lid. That simple design is supposed to force the rising smoke back down into the can to smother a fire. So yes a metal can is better. That is why people promote metal cans for dust collectors.
    Ever seen a small dumpster with the plastic lid burned away but the metal lower portion intact except for burned paint ?
    Of course if it next to your pile of small scraps and old papers radiated heat may set the stuff outside on fire.
    Bill D

The key to a metal trash can is to keep a lid on it.

Would it not be safer to have a bin outside the house and make the trip outside to dispose of any potential hazards

regards Brian

For years I put oily rags in a GI-surplus .50 calibre ammo can. Painted red it was difficult not to see in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    For years I put oily rags in a GI-surplus .50 calibre ammo can. Painted red it was difficult not to see in the shop.
    Now Horible fright has plastic ammo cans for sale.

I just bought one of the steel containers made especially for such purpose. I think it was about $60 on Amazon. I increased the safety by putting a galvanized old bucket inside of it with water in it. I simply submerge the oily rags in the water and once a week, on trash day, I empty the water and throw the rags in the trash. Double protection.

I found an old oven roaster at the thrift store, (oval - about 18" L, 10" wide with a lid that fits) and put my rags in there. I don't use a lot of rags, and figure small(er) can, less air, = less fire. Not sure if that is right, but I've never had any heat up. They go out in the garbage every week.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Thanks for helping making up my mind. I was able to find a metal trash can at the local hardware store this weekend. It has a fire rated sticker on it so I feel like it will add at least a bit of protection.

I don't do much finishing in the basement and will take any rags to dry outside when I am done in the shop so the trash can is for general shop clean up/wood shavings.