Thread: How to determine when blades should be changed or sharpened?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How to determine when blades should be changed or sharpened?

I am aware this question makes me sound like I started WW last week but that really isn't so. You could easily answer this question with "Well it depends", which is obviously true. I stopped doing much WW a few years ago and jumping back in. I don't remember when some blades were last changed or sharpened. When I buy new blades I buy good ones because cheap cutting tools steel is false economy IMO. Overly cheap anyway. Here is where I am assessing my blades.

Tablesaw- A Forrest WW2 and a Lietz that came with my Craftsman Hybrid. I think they have a few months left in them. They have been resharpened once. They don't look damaged and cut about as well as I remember.

Bandsaw- Rikon 14"- This one is a big mystery to me. I have blades that appear completely OK to me, but they do not track that well during resaw and they used to for sure. It's possible saw is not adjusted correctly but it's not for lack of trying. I am fairly convinced they need to hit the trash.

Planer- I have a 15" Grizzly. It has original blades and I have no idea how to tell if they need replaced.

Jointer- I have a 6" Craftsman Professional. It is highly likely the blades are shot thought they appear physically OK to my eye, and finger tips. I am going to put some work into setup. I have been watching some Vids and it appears I need a quality straight edge for this task. MAchine performance is poor IMO.

Miter saw- I have a Dewalt 12" and believe I can tell it is cutting fine. Even with fairly economical blades.

If you have further questions ask away. I didn't want to write a novel in my O.P. And thanks in advance. I'll buy what I need to, but don't have funds to waste anymore.
    Last edited by Dewayne Reding; 01-12-2018 at 2:11 PM.