Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safe driving a fully loaded car?

Bob brings up a good point...it's important to have that cargo "contained" in case of a sudden stop. Flying objects can be deadly, even if they don't weigh all that much. In this case, they do. That said, getting the weight farther forward like that is a good idea relative to balance.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Do yourself a favor and ship some of it. I have done quite a bit of hauling and I don't like driving a fully loaded car or truck. Ditto on Weight distribution is important, making sure there are no flying or shifting objects behind you in the event you hit something or must stop suddenly (witnessed a freak accident of a young man moving his personal belongings. He put a small tv set on top the stuff in the rear seat. When he slammed on the brakes to avoid a sudden collision ahead of him the tv set flew forward and broke against the rear of his head, knocked him out and he almost bled to death from the cuts on the scalp. My traveling companion had been a medic and saved the man's life. ) Keep the tires inflated properly but do not over inflate, particularly if you will be in warm weather on hot roadways. Full weight may affect steering & breaking distance, so drive accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    It is a Mazda CX9; a reasonably big SUV.
    We have no experience with a trailer, and no hitch.

The weight plates are 400 pound; nearly half of the load other than us in the front seats. I can put those on the floor of the 2nd row of seats, which is right in the middle of the car. I can put the rest in the back, so the car should be pretty well balanced.
    Do you see any problem with 400 pounds on the floor?
    When I first read this I imagined that the individual weight plates were 400lbs, something right out of the Worlds Strongest Man competition I watched recently. But, as long as they are contained so they don't slide under the seats, etc, they should be fine there

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    When I first read this I imagined that the individual weight plates were 400lbs, something right out of the Worlds Strongest Man competition I watched recently. But, as long as they are contained so they don't slide under the seats, etc, they should be fine there
    He is proud of squatting 385 pounds. I don't know what that means, but he is proud of it. still, 400 pound weights are probably not all that useful...

My wife came home excited yesterday because she erged a 23.21 5K. Not sure what that means either, but she is proud of it. Apparently it makes her 24th in the world over 65. Perhaps almost no women over 65 erg?

But more to the point, I have lots of webbing straps; I can probably secure everything to the seat bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    He is proud of squatting 385 pounds. I don't know what that means, but he is proud of it. still, 400 pound weights are probably not all that useful...

My wife came home excited yesterday because she erged a 23.21 5K. Not sure what that means either, but she is proud of it. Apparently it makes her 24th in the world over 65. Perhaps almost no women over 65 erg?

But more to the point, I have lots of webbing straps; I can probably secure everything to the seat bases.
    I have a neighbor who moved in next door as a tenant a few months ago. One evening I kept hearing a big thud inside our house and went out to investigate. After a while I heard it again very clearly from my front yard. Sounded like someone trying to break up concrete with a sledgehammer except it only happened one time every couple minutes. Turns out the new neighbor was doing some dead lifts in the garage and apparently, its expected behavior to drop the weight from knee high once you get it lifted up, especially when lifting very heavy weights. LOL At least now that's its cold out they have cut back on their lift and drop workouts.

I'm no lifter, Pat, but I believe they release the weights like that because it would be dangerous to try and set them down slowly. A proper mat should help mitigate some of the noise, but...a lot of weight crashing down is gonna make sound and vibration!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Just put most of the weight in the center of the vehicle, and enjoy the ride. No sense losing sleep over it. You'll be fine.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    I'd want great tires and brakes.

I'd check the oil, air the tires to what the door sticker says, strap the stuff in and go. This is getting WAY overthought here...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Seems like a lot of engineering, and physics going to waste for a non-problem. It wasn't a problem for these people.

Lumber-Car-A.jpgoverloaded-car.jpgOL_7.jpg

Apparently the problem is that you are trying to put the stuff on the inside, where, as you can clearly see, the answer is to put it on the outside!

Actually, my solution is far more simple. Get yourself an arm sling, and the biggest knee brace you can find, put them on, and facetime your son. Tell him that the doctor has limited you to lifting 5 lbs, with a 300 lb aggregate. Also, let him know that it is past time for him to come visit you. While he is there, remind him that he wanted to have his weights. His vehicle has a higher load limit anyway. Sorry, I just had shoulder surgery, and feel like a total invalid. This is how my brain has to work for 4 more weeks. Seriously, no matter how you choose too transport the stuff, be certain you securely tie everything down. A local family went camping for the weekend, and on their return trip, a driver in the other lane fell asleep at the wheel. The head on collision was bad, but all would have survived except a dutch oven wasn't tied down securely enough, and the lid flew like a frisbee. This is gross, but it decapitated the driver. Everyone else recovered from their injuries, but the one item not tied down caused a disaster.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

I've told him to find weights on Craigslist and I'll bring the cage. The weights just aren't that expensive and carrying them 800 miles just doesn't make sense. I can sell his and probably break even. He doesn't like it, but he can use a little adversity.

I appreciate everyone's help.