Thread: Grizzly 2hp Dust Collection value, parts, worth $30?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Not clear to me does this have the impeller and fan housing? If so you got a good deal. just mount it on top of a cyclone or skip the cyclone and blow the dust outside.
    Bill

Patrick,
    Great find. I have looked on CL here in the Detroit area and 2+ HP units are usually heavily used and 20+ years old. As most above have suggested build a cyclone stack like pictured. I'll assume you can't vent outside and will use a cartridge filter. As mentioned above ebay has many deals on heavy truck filters. Just search for Donaldson 26" and you will find several for $65-100, then look up the part number to make sure it meets your filtration needs (most should). If you don't want to spend the money on a SDD a Thein separator would be a good second alternative (BTW - Menards sells the regular SDD and they are having their 11% rebate right now).

SDD w filter.jpg
    Hope this helps. Let Us know what you do.

Carl

Hey guys, haven't tackled this yet. Been confused about how to run it without the collector piece but then came across this video that shows a setup that is does not use the collector housing.

http://www.grayhousestudio.com/harbo...collector-mod/

There is a complete 2hp harbor freight single stage locally I'm going to try and get for $80 and use that for the time being until I can make the space to wall mount the more CFM grizzly 2hp collector.

The local harbor freight is 110v and ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    Hey guys, haven't tackled this yet. Been confused about how to run it without the collector piece but then came across this video that shows a setup that is does not use the collector housing.

http://www.grayhousestudio.com/harbo...collector-mod/

There is a complete 2hp harbor freight single stage locally I'm going to try and get for $80 and use that for the time being until I can make the space to wall mount the more CFM grizzly 2hp collector.

The local harbor freight is 110v and ready to go.
    In general, you can't get more than about 1.75HP from a 120V circuit because the circuit will not supply enough power for more than that. If you notice, most tools with induction motors that run on 120V are specified as 1.75HP.

This is not to say that you can't run a 2HP, or even more, but you'd need more than a 15 amp circuit. While you may have a 20 amp circuit, the tool maker has to design for the 15 amp circuits which are the common amperage for 120V residential circuits.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.