Thread: Grizzly 2hp Dust Collection value, parts, worth $30?

Grizzly 2hp Dust Collection value, parts, worth $30?

My dad found an unused Grizzly 2hp dust collection motor at a garage sale. It's like the one in the photo. It's just the motor on the rolling base, no bag, support rods or the middle metal ring that the bags attach to.

For $30 I thought that was a deal.

I cannot find the pieces to make this complete like the 2nd photo. I checked grizzlys site for replacement parts and don't see them.

Would it be worth spending the $$ on the bags, center rings or somehow make my own?

I've been using my shop vac connected to Rockler cyclone blue bucket thing that works 75%. I hooked up a large 16" planer and the shop vac doesnt have enough juice to get all the chips out.

Basically looking for the easiest way to use the motor and not cost more than buying a complete used system on craigslist. Seen some in the $150 range with dual bags on rolling platform.

Blog Entries
    I'd grab it and I don't even need it. The motor is worth $30 a couple of times. If the blower is on it, bonus. I would not buy the missing parts to make a bag unit and expect to get off cheaper than just buying new but, you could check. Cobbling together something that you can buy as a unit doesn't make sense to me. Buying a cartridge filter or a properly sized American Fabric Filter setup and putting a separator in front of the blower starts to make sense but again, you'd have to price this out and see if you get much bang for the buck.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-09-2018 at 12:20 PM.

Consider building your own vortex (replaces the center metal piece you are missing), or buying one (dust deputy). You can build one out of plywood, and design it for a cartridge filter. You can mount the motor to a platform, or to a wall. Good buy for $30. Cartridge will be ~ $275 or so. Bags are like $5 each. Hose isn't cheap. Look on the web and you'll find examples of homemade setups similar to what you are likely to end up with.

Heck, stick it on CL for $50. Somebody will want it.
    Or exhaust it out the wall.

I wouldn't have bought it because I don't want to do those things.

Cartridge filters don't *have* to be $250. The ones woodworkers usually buy tend to be expensive. But you can get industrial ones that are just as good (or at least good enough) online for much less.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
    Cartridge filters don't *have* to be $250. The ones woodworkers usually buy tend to be expensive. But you can get industrial ones that are just as good (or at least good enough) online for much less.
    This. I bought a truck filter, cannot remember the brand/model off hand, on ebay for I think $50 shipped. Granted, I had to use chain and turnbuckles to mount it to the top of my dust collector, but I noticed improvement over the bag my DC came with.

Edit: I ordered a Donaldson air filter p181038, just looked through my email.
    Last edited by Michael Stein; 01-09-2018 at 4:10 PM.

Buy a Dust Deputy (big one) and stick it IN FRONT of the fan unit. You want to remove the swarf before it goes through the fan and maybe damages the fan. The Dust deputy will remove almost all of the swarf so what you put on the back end is up to you. Michael Stein has suggested a filter and that should work.

Later, if you want to go to a bigger fan, you can do a swap out of the fan unit and keep everything else.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Grizzly has the parts. Find the similar model on their site and there is a tab Purchase parts.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Buy a Dust Deputy (big one) Mike
    That would be a Super Dust Deputy.
    Mike

This has to be really close to what you have. cdn1.grizzly.com/partslists/g1029z2p_pl.pdf

Not clear to me does this have the impeller and fan housing? If so you got a good deal. just mount it on top of a cyclone or skip the cyclone and blow the dust outside.
    Bill

Patrick,
    Great find. I have looked on CL here in the Detroit area and 2+ HP units are usually heavily used and 20+ years old. As most above have suggested build a cyclone stack like pictured. I'll assume you can't vent outside and will use a cartridge filter. As mentioned above ebay has many deals on heavy truck filters. Just search for Donaldson 26" and you will find several for $65-100, then look up the part number to make sure it meets your filtration needs (most should). If you don't want to spend the money on a SDD a Thein separator would be a good second alternative (BTW - Menards sells the regular SDD and they are having their 11% rebate right now).

SDD w filter.jpg
    Hope this helps. Let Us know what you do.

Carl

Hey guys, haven't tackled this yet. Been confused about how to run it without the collector piece but then came across this video that shows a setup that is does not use the collector housing.

http://www.grayhousestudio.com/harbo...collector-mod/

There is a complete 2hp harbor freight single stage locally I'm going to try and get for $80 and use that for the time being until I can make the space to wall mount the more CFM grizzly 2hp collector.

The local harbor freight is 110v and ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    Hey guys, haven't tackled this yet. Been confused about how to run it without the collector piece but then came across this video that shows a setup that is does not use the collector housing.

http://www.grayhousestudio.com/harbo...collector-mod/

There is a complete 2hp harbor freight single stage locally I'm going to try and get for $80 and use that for the time being until I can make the space to wall mount the more CFM grizzly 2hp collector.

The local harbor freight is 110v and ready to go.
    In general, you can't get more than about 1.75HP from a 120V circuit because the circuit will not supply enough power for more than that. If you notice, most tools with induction motors that run on 120V are specified as 1.75HP.

This is not to say that you can't run a 2HP, or even more, but you'd need more than a 15 amp circuit. While you may have a 20 amp circuit, the tool maker has to design for the 15 amp circuits which are the common amperage for 120V residential circuits.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Buy a Dust Deputy (big one) and stick it IN FRONT of the fan unit. You want to remove the swarf before it goes through the fan and maybe damages the fan. The Dust deputy will remove almost all of the swarf so what you put on the back end is up to you. Michael Stein has suggested a filter and that should work.

Later, if you want to go to a bigger fan, you can do a swap out of the fan unit and keep everything else.

Mike
    This is what I would look seriously at doing. There are other sources for cyclones, there's a guy in NY state that sells metal ones. If you want to learn more about cyclones, visit Bill Pentz site. I think he goes a little overboard on some things but still worth a look IMO.