Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer Choices

In fairness, there are occasionally some things that "break" when MacOS is updated, but that's often because a software vendor doesn't keep up with the published requirements or if the user insists on using an old-old version of something. That's no different than in the Windows world. And for folks who use applications that tend to be "sensitive" to OS updates, what William suggests about the user controlling updates is a good idea on any platform.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just received a new 27" iMac yesterday. I got the 1 terabyte solid state drive and 32 gigs of ram plus the video upgrade. I run parallels on my iMac with Windows 7 and it works pretty good for Corel Draw and a few other programs I need for my sign business. I hope to have the new iMac installed this afternoon. FWIW I have not been on the Internet on a Windows machine in many years.

My older iMac will be used by our server administrator, Aaron will get lots of use on the iMac even though he is a Windows fan. I'm going to convert him though

When my youngest daughter was in college I had to buy her a new laptop every year. In her senior year I purchased her a Mac notebook that she is still using to this day, at least five years now. Money well spent IMO !!!

My iMac says I bought it in late 2009. I've never had any issues with it and it's run fine after every upgrade. I just want my computer to work for me and not have me work on it. I never had that with Windows both at home or where I worked. I don't have MS Office mainly because I'm to cheap to buy it so I use Open Office that's free. It is close enough to MS Office that it shouldn't be an issue to transition. Apple stuff probably works well because they make the hardware so the compatibility is consistent and the operating system works. Windows stuff is made by everyone so how well it plays with itself seems inconsistant. So my vote is an Apple, the next user is passionate about their Windows machine. You get to pick whether to take the fork, or stay on the same path.

That's a darn nice machine, Keith. I've been doing the Parallels thing for awhile now; it allowed me to do BYOD for work and stop having so many issues that came with the corporate provided laptops (including not replacing them soon enough...) and also to support programs like CutList Plus and Quicken on my personal machines. I've now moved to the latest version of Quicken for Mac that's actually functional at this point, so Windows is only used for Cutlist and now the Vectric software I'm learning.

My younger daughter ponied up a few bucks of her own three years ago for a Macbook Air to replace the tiny (and horrible) netbook she used during middle school and as a freshman in HS. She's now using it at Penn State and it will likely stay with her for all four years and beyond.
    --

Jim,

The iMac with the 4k resolution on the monitor is excellent, my new iMac has he 5k monitor. Jackie has a Macbook Air that she uses every day and is really pleased with it. I think its about three to four years old now and has never missed a beat. I bought a MacBook Pro notebook when Jackie got hers, I use mine only when I am traveling and I really like the notebook. We use Apple TV as well, just dumped our cable TV and don't miss it at all.

I still use a Windows XP machine in my shop to run my CNC Router and my Laser Engraver. No internet connection on this one though.

Yea, those new iMacs are outstanding relative to the screen. Enjoy! But until this mid-2010 actually dies (LOL), it's not in the cards for me. My MBPr13 will likely take over at that point since it was my BYOD work machine and I have an excellent "4K" 27" monitor attached to it when I'm not traveling. I have not been able to get Professor Dr. SWMBO to switch over as she's "set in her ways" and also uses some statistics packages that she doesn't want to mess with via virtualization, but her employer is one of the strongest Apple supporters going in the education space (Drexel) and maybe she'll change her mind for the next refresh. She's "devastated" that she had to give up Office 2007 recently because the school implemented the latest version of Exchange via Office 365 and they refuse to support the older versions of Office anymore. Such is life...

The computer/controller for that big yellow "toy" I'm considering runs Win10. I do plan on it being on my internal network for more convenient file transfer from the house, but it will be denied access to the Internet.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-10-2018 at 7:27 PM.
    --

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's a darn nice machine, Keith. I've been doing the Parallels thing for awhile now; it allowed me to do BYOD for work and stop having so many issues that came with the corporate provided laptops (including not replacing them soon enough...) and also to support programs like CutList Plus and Quicken on my personal machines. I've now moved to the latest version of Quicken for Mac that's actually functional at this point, so Windows is only used for Cutlist and now the Vectric software I'm learning.

My younger daughter ponied up a few bucks of her own three years ago for a Macbook Air to replace the tiny (and horrible) netbook she used during middle school and as a freshman in HS. She's now using it at Penn State and it will likely stay with her for all four years and beyond.
    W’appen? We all buy iMacs at the same time, all still running. My mid-2010 iMac runs to this day though I did have a head crash in the spring. Installed a new terrabyte drive and she runs on. Back-ups are your friend.

On the Parallels front, I suggest you look into Amazon WorkSpace (AWS). I ran Parallels for a couple years and ... it worked. AWS was installed on both my work Macbook Pro and my work iPad. It seems faster and less “clunky” than the parallels. There are some statistical programs and visualization software that isn’t Mac friendly yet.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Shawn, I did have a display controller component replaced a couple years ago and the backlight on the right side has slightly faded, but with a lot of RAM and an SSD upgrade I did awhile ago, this thing runs like a top.

I'm familiar with AWS for hosting corporate applications, but wasn't aware it was something usable for personal use. I'll look into it. But I own Parallels (two licenses) so moving to something else that costs money isn't likely worth it to me. The only Windows programs I use at this point are Cutlist Plus and (soon) Vectric VCarve Pro. All of the corporate stuff is gone, gone, gone...
    --

Blog Entries
    I'm familiar with AWS for hosting corporate applications, but wasn't aware it was something usable for personal use. I'll look into it. But I own Parallels (two licenses) so moving to something else that costs money isn't likely worth it to me. ... All of the corporate stuff is gone, gone, gone...
    Both my Parallels and AWS are from my employer. As to losing these corporate perks, I am right behind you. One more year for me.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

Parallels I own because I was BYOD. They didn't "like" Macs, but eventually had to allow them since so many of the executives insisted on using Macs. Corporate IT politics at its best...
    --

Blog Entries
    Parallels I own because I was BYOD. They didn't "like" Macs, but eventually had to allow them since so many of the executives insisted on using Macs. Corporate IT politics at its best...
    Our company’s I.S. Department was not happy to consider Macs. But like your firm, were arm twisted by Executives and Scientists to use Macs beyond the iPhone and IPad. I am a beneficiary to that. We considered BYOD, but eventually decided just to support company purchased Macs for those who made the right case for it.

Politics are odious in any organization.
    Shawn

Blog Entries
    Our company’s I.S. Department was not happy to consider Macs.
    One corporate network engineer type told me it was because they needed less support than Windows machines. Less support needed meant a smaller IT department and less pay. Those IT guys know where their bread is buttered.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)