Thread: wooden plow plane

wooden plow plane

receivedthis plane from sil , she bought at estate sale. the depth stop fits very tight in its mortice i think thats why the brass plate the adjuster goes though broke in half. would you file the adjuster or the mortice to fit better? while the plane was probable was made around 1860ish { judging from the screws} i just want to put the plane back to work. thanks for any thoughts jerry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Its the wooden stock that's likely moved. I would focus on the mortise.
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 01-08-2018 at 6:59 AM.

Hi Gerald

Check if the brass adjuster is running freely now that it is out of the plane body. I suspect that the depth stop runs inside a brass casing. If so, all that needs to be done is clean and oil it internally. The wood for the mortice may have moved, as Stewie has commented, but the fix may not lie with the mortice.

As I recall, the brass collar is important as it forms a garter to hold the screw in place. It may be sufficient to just screw the two sides down. If not, it may nee to be silver soldered or brazed.

Regards from Cape Town

Derek

i have a bit of 1/4" brass i was going to make a new plate it fits in between the thumb screw and a piecethats pinned to the threaded rod. i think i can drill out the rivet to slid the plate in place. i love the way the maker dovetail the brass to the skate. the adjuster runs freely now but the brass block is still tight in the mortice. thanks for the tips jerry

Blog Entries
    Jerry, definitely a beautiful tool. I applaud your efforts to put it back to work.

With regard to your questions about best ways to solve your current problem, I completely defer to Stewie and Derek who know far better than me.

My reason for commenting is twofold;

A) Vintage wooden plow planes are among my favorite old tools; IMHO a still elegant solution to a fundamental woodworking task.

B) Any picture with shotgun shells in the background immediately gets my attention; are there birds around here? Where are the dogs?

Cheers, Mike

It has just occurred to me (I am away on vacation, along with my mind) that I built a plough plane and slotted this mechanism into it. From my website ...

Progress picture …

Fitting the depth stop. This came off the Mathieson parts plane.

First drill …

Then chisel …

The upper side of the depth stop houses the adjuster …

The brass cassette is a self-contained part, as I mentioned earlier. Any stiffness in adjustment will be within it, so keep it lubricated. You can also see the brass collar as a one piece section.

If you are needing more reference, the build is here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...oughBuild.html

Regards from Cape Town (back in Perth tomorrow)

Derek

Blog Entries
    Any picture with shotgun shells in the background immediately gets my attention
    Spent shotgun shells are good source material for chisel ferrules.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Especially nice AA hulls like those that are actually made of brass.

thats a stunning looking plane derek! is that she oak?

Jim never thought of that. only have about 500 emptys waiting to be reloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Schram View Post
    thats a stunning looking plane derek! is that she oak?
    Thanks Gerald. It is She-oak. A very dense and interlocked hardwood from Western Australia.

Regards from Perth

Derek